Chapter 14, Trials (2)

The memory ended like a fading dream, and Lyla found herself sitting on her knees in the forest, which thankfully had lost a large ammount of fog. The eerieness was no longer a haunting sensation. Instead, it loomed quietly between only distant trees; but it was still there.

     Lyla breathed heavily as her eyes opened to the real world once again. Or, was it really? Lyla couldn't really be sure anymore. Nevertheless, the young lady stood to her feet again, wobbling on her feet, still in a bit of a daze as she processed all of that. Now, she knew why Steve was so insistent that she keep the amulet. She now knew it's importance to him. But, why her? Yeah, they were old friends, but, her? She just couldn't shake the one word question out of her head. 'Why?'

     But, she HAD to keep going. Even knowing it's value now, Steve was more important than it. It would be better to keep the actual friend, over a basic token of their friendship. Determination like a revving engine, Lyla sprinted back down the path. She was nearly there. Just a few more minutes, and she would reach where she had dropped the amulet. ..Why had she even dropped it in the first place? It was a stupid move. She knew it was valuable, she had heard people saying that many times before. I guess she just didn't really understand it herself until she remembered why it was so important. But then that just brings back that last nagging question once again. Ghaa! Why?!

     "Lyla!" The young lady stopped abruptly, recognizing that younger, feminine voice instantly. Curiously, she turned swiftly to her left, seeing none other than (Y/n)!

     "(Y/n)?.." Lyla tilted her head, a smile growing on her face. Immediately, she remembered the mirror, and a pale color brushed over her expression. Was her own sister.. only an illusion? To test this, Lyla warily stepped closer, completely blocking out her younger sister in her moment of pure chatter. She was only about twenty blocks away, and when she stepped closer, she was ACTUALLY closer this time! A little more convinced, Lyla paid more attention to whatever her younger sister was going on about with a massive smile on her face. It almost seemed as if she was talking about.. some kind of adventure, but Lyla's head was full of too many questions to actually listen properly.

     "Lylaa.. Hey! Lyla! Are you okay?" (Y/n) snapped her older sister out of it.

     "(Y/n), h- how did you get here?.." Lyla asked curiously.

     "I honestly have no idea! I was just standing around the castle and-"

     "So you were still in Herobrine's palace?!" Lyla ran up to her little sister, grabbing hold of both of her wrists in a worried and definitely protective way. "D- did he hurt you?- What did he do?- Are you okay?- Do I need to call a doctor!?- Are you bleeding under your dress?- Wait, a dress?- Why are you wearing a dress?- Were you forced to wear it?- Did you have to wear a really skimpy one?- Were you threatened in any way?!-" Her mouth was finally covered by (Y/n)'s hand when she got annoyed. Yep! She was real.

     "Geez, Lyla, you worry too much. No, I am not hurt. I am actually perfectly fine. Herobrine has been the perfect gentleman." (Y/n) said, shocking Lyla out of the ball park.

     "Okay, now I know something is wrong! Was it a love potion?- Did he ever give you some kind of strange tasting dri-" Again, Lyla was stopped by (Y/n).

     "No. No love potions. He just changed." She said, a smile on her face. Lyla just couldn't believe it. "I can explain if you want.." (Y/n) offered, walking over to a log and sitting on it. Lyla began to follow, but then stopped. She was in a hurry! Steve! He was in trouble. She couldn't just let him die, just so she could sit and chat with her sister, who they had left to find in the first place. Taking a long look at her younger sister: seeing her beautiful dress and wonderfully done hair, Lyla worried she wouldn't be able to see her again.