Chapter 15, Requisite

Finally, about time I get to finishing this. *cracks knuckles* .....Ouchie... My fingies.
===============================================

     The cold set in on the meadow of snow as the sun was beginning to lose it's shine through the thick, stormy snow clouds. The Trudgers stood together in a cluster behind their captive, and the one currently in charge of them was beside, slightly in front of him.

     "Only fifteen minutes remaining, Steve. You better pray that girl of yours is a fast runner; for her sake as well as yours." Raethe said from beside him as she scanned the horizon impatiently. Steve watched with worried eyes, scared for his own life, but symotaniously hoping she had run as far away as possible. He knew the Trudgers alone were never true to their word, so he just hoped that Raethe herself was trusting enough to keep her promises.

     As the time had ticked on, the cold finally reached the young man through his thick coat, and his teeth chattered wildly with no control over his own shivering. It didn't help that he was stuck on snow drenched knees which only brought the cold further into his system. Not to mention he had nearly frozen earlier-. Memories of waking up rescued returned, and a small tear cryasalized  while rolling down his cheek. A sudden fear that he would never see Lyla again, either one way or another, chilled his heart even more than the creeping snow.

     "Wait. I think I see movement." One of the Trudgers pointed out, beyond the nearest snow drifts. Steve held his breath as he looked too. His eyes tho wider when he saw the recognizable figure quickly hobbling over the small mounts of snow forming. It was Lyal! She ran as quickly as she could through the beating snow and roughening terrain. She finally arrived, panting heavily and utterly tired, mixed expressions on her face. She then looked Steve directly in the eyes when she came to a stop, hands on her knees to take a breath. To him alone, she mouthed, 'I remember now.' A little smile rising on her face. Steve's own lit up, but then sunk once again when the current head of his captors spoke.

     "Ah. And with only seven minutes to spare. I was beginning to wonder if you had tripped and died on your way." Raethe scoffed. Lyla frowned once making eye contact with her.

     "I have the amulet. It's right here." Lyla spoke grudgingly, revealing the bright blue object in her palm. She stood only about ten or so away from the rest, keeping her distance. Raethe noticed, and the atmosphere around the two changed a little.

     "Good. Now just give it to me, and I'll let your friend here go." She spoke like a sick serpant, sticking her armored hand out to retrieve the item, a crooked smile on her face.

     "You already have the upper hand, so it only makes sense for you to hand Stece over FIRST." Lyla insisted, sure-footed in her demand.

     "...-Fair enough. We no longer need him anyways. DO WE, gentlemen?" Raethe turned to the Trudgers behind her, who looked a little bummed that they wouldn't be getting the revenge they wanted. Reluctantly, one of the Trudgers lifted Steve by the back of his shirt and thrust him forward into the powdery snow. Lyla quickly rushed to him to make sure he was okay.

     "I'm fine." Steve mumbled as he was helped by Lyla to stand to his feet. Once up, he brushed himself and shook off the helpless feeling within moments, instead scowling at the one who had tossed him.

     "Now." Raethe brought her hand once again. "The amulet-thing." Lyla hesitated a short moment, making Raethe frown, but then she looked over to Steve, who's face didn't show any protest, so she carefully walked over the thickening snow, and carefully handed the amulet over to the young woman. Raethe brought the trinkets into her full view, smiling, pleased with the transaction. "Thanks. It really does mean a lot to me and my family." She smiled, that stench of evil slowly fading.