In the Dead of the Night

esompthin

Danny knew his night was going to go down hill once he got slammed against the wall by Plasmius. Danny was heading home late and he figured he'd cut through the park, trying to get home as quick as possible. Naturally, that didn't happen. God. Can't he have one night without cuts and bruises? Regardless, Danny quickly went ghost, scowling at his enemy.

"Are you serious, Vlad?" Danny shot a ghost ray at the other halfa. The ghost merely let the beam phase through him, unharmed. "I have class in the morning!"

"Hm, yes. And I'm sure you'll pay plenty of attention while in it." Plasmius hummed. Danny charged him, flying forward to throw a punch. In one swift move, Plasmius grabbed Danny's fist and swung him around, throwing him at the ground.

Danny grunted as the slid across the rocky ground. The gravel cut at him as he rolled; tearing skin and suit alike. Danny shuddered as he struggled to his hands and knees. At the sound of feet landing next to him, Danny looked up. He braced himself for a punch, or maybe a swift kick, but no attack came.

Slowly, he allowed his gaze to travel back up to Plasmius' face. The man no longer wore a scowl or sneer. Instead, the man's face held nothing more than a shocked expression. Danny followed his gaze and gasped, quickly covering his chest with his arm.

"Fuck," Danny hissed. His ratty hand-me-down binder was torn to pieces. He had gotten it from one of those Big Brother, Little Brother websites. The kind that distributes used binders? It was too small and a bit itchy. But it was enough. Danny loved this stupid thing. And now it was useless. A few large tears scratched apart the front and sides, clearly showing what was hidden under it. Panic and fear grew in Danny's chest as he glanced awkwardly up at Plasmius. "I- I can explain, I-"

"Daniel. Stop." Plasmius said, turning away from him. Danny felt his heart sink at Vlad's cold tone. Yeah, he was a villain, and Danny shouldn't even really care what he thinks, but… He couldn't stop the tears that started to roll down his face, the harsh way he sobbed. He closed his eyes and covered his mouth with his free hand.

Danny hardly registered the soft swoosh noise of someone stepping from the world of the dead to that of the living. He only took a moment's pause when he heard Plasmius' voice, "I refuse to continue this conversation until you are properly covered."

Something was dropped onto the dirt next to him. Through his tears, saw Vlad's dark suit jacket sitting next to him. The man in question was turned away, tapping on his phone. Briefly, Danny wondered if he was telling someone about the situation. Would it be in the papers the next morning? Everyone at school will know, everyone will-

"Tell me when you're comfortable enough for me to turn around, Daniel." Vlad called over his shoulder, his eyes still on his phone.

Danny shakily grabbed the jacket and turned around, keeping his back to Vlad. Peeking over his shoulder, he changed to his human form. His shirt was absolutely destroyed. Shit. But his jeans looked fine. They were dirty, but otherwise okay. Danny only had to worry about half of his stupid, useless body giving him away.

He quickly got to work, sliding Vlad's jacket on and buttoning it up all the way to the highest button. He didn't care if he looked stupid; it was better than the alternative.