Part I

"Hey, Obito. Are you listening?"

Obito forces himself to look at the brunette sitting across from him in the break room. It feels like a bomb just went off; he can still hear the ringing in his ears. And then Yamato asks him again, those same words that shook up his world.

"Do you mind if I date your ex? Kakashi?"

Obito stares at him blankly, eyes growing wide.

It was one of those regular Tuesday mornings, when Obito was eating his breakfast cereal right in front of his computer in his office cubicle. Then Yamato came by, fidgeting slightly and hardly looking him in the eye, when he asked him for a chat in the breakroom.

Maybe Obito should have said, 'Sorry, Yamato. I have a lot of work to do. No time to chat.' And then continue typing away, like a happy-go-lucky, oblivious to his ex's secret admirers, office worker.

But it's too late for that now. His bubble of a dream just got poked and burst right open.

Yamato makes an awkward face and starts waving his hands in surrender. "If it's too soon, I understand! It's just that... its been a whole year since you two broke up. And I've always kind of liked him."

Yamato looks down at the table and hides a little smile. Then he looks up and sputters. "But if you say no, I'll respect your wishes and back off."

Obito stays stalk still in his chair, blinking several times and having a minor heart attack. What should he say? If he says no, Yamato will think he still has feelings for Kakashi. Which is not true. Hell no.

Obito definitely doesn't miss Kakashi's random text messages- the ones with the cute pictures of cats or dog gifs. Or just a text message with a cute smile emoji with hearts. Or even all those times Kakashi brought him a cookie from the cafe... just because he felt like it.

And Obito definitely doesn't miss those late nights just cuddling into the couch, with Kakashi's arms around him and with Ūhei and Urushi resting on his lap. Often times, those nights turned into deeper snuggling and lazy kissing. And Kakashi would carry him up to his bedroom, where Obito would freely shed all his clothes and Kakashi would shower him with kisses... among other things.

And Obito absolutely doesn't miss the feeling of total happiness, of feeling completely whole whenever Kakashi smiled at him- his face full of love and warmth, as if Obito was his entire world.

Yea, he definitely doesn't miss any of that.

Obito feels a sudden jerk in his chest and he reaches up to clench his shirt. It's been such a long time. He thought the feeling in his heart had long gone away, become numb, after spending so much time crying over Kakashi. After ending things with him, when Kakashi said he didn't ever want to get married or have kids.

And Obito didn't want to waste his time in a relationship that had no future...

It was the responsible thing, the adult thing to do.

He's pretty sure he made the right decision. So he shouldn't feel bad if Kakashi started dating someone else...

Right?

Obito takes a shuddering breath and lets it out, nice and slow. It helps to calm his nerves for what he's about to say.

"Yes. You have my permission to date Kakashi."

.....

It's only been a week and Obito can't help the feeling of being trapped.

When he broke up with Kakashi a year ago, he moved departments so he would be working on a different floor from Kakashi. It greatly reduced the amount of time they would see eachother at work. But of course, there were those random unavoidable accidents, when they would run into each other inevitably.