Chapter Seven

Kongpob noticed an immediate change in Arthit's overall demeanor after their confrontation in the gym and, honestly, it wasn't what he expected at all. He thought that the omega would double down on the hostility; instead, Arthit dialed it back and, rather than glowering at the freshman as they walked in the door, simply sat in the far corner of the classroom, earbuds in, and kept to himself.

"Kong," said M, walking past him. "You coming?"

He nodded, but his gaze remained fixed on Arthit, who hadn't bothered to look up from his textbook. Rather than a white button-down and tie, Arthit was wearing the faculty's red work shirt and a pair of dark-wash jeans. He rhythmically tapped the end of his pencil against the table as he read the material, completely relaxed and at ease.

That is, until Koi, the omega who had been crying during the last gathering, hesitantly approached him. Arthit's shoulders tensed up a bit, but he didn't scowl or snap at her to leave him alone.

Curious, Kongpob let red bleed into his eyes as he used magic to enhance his hearing and block out the dissonant, bothersome noise around him. He focused on Arthit and Koi's voices even as he followed his friends to their usual seats in the center of the classroom.

"Name and student ID," Arthit said, sitting back with his arms crossed.

She pushed her glasses up. "Uh...Koi, student ID 0206..."

That caught Arthit's attention. He sat up, cocking his head to the side. "0206? How? When we were both registered as first years at first?"

"I think there was a clerical error...I talked to the administration already...They said I was assigned the number before you were readmitted and that since you're now registered as a third year, it won't be a problem."

"Oh. That's good. Then, you're my line junior?"

She nodded.

"And..." He looked at her quizzically for a second. "You're an omega?"

Koi nodded again.

"Give me your phone."

Kongpob sat down, watching from the corner of his eye as she unlocked her phone and gave it to Arthit. After a few seconds, he handed it back.

"If you need help with anything, call me. My circumstances are a bit..." he trailed off, as if searching for the right word, then finished with: "unusual, as I've sure you know. But I'm here if you need help."

"Thank you..."

When she still didn't move, Arthit frowned. "Was there something else?"

"Um, yesterday..." She swung her backpack around and unzipped it, getting out a thin, hardcover book. "When you ran into me outside the gym, you dropped this."

"Oh." He paused, frowning at the book like he couldn't quite remember what she was talking about, but eventually he took it and said, "Thanks..."

Looking down, Koi shuffled on the balls of her feet. "Um, P'Arthit...About that book..." She trailed off, her face turning a deep shade of red. "Never mind. Sorry to bother you." Before Arthit had a chance to respond, Koi had already turned around and rushed back to her friends, who were sitting near the front of the classroom.

Kongpob stopped eavesdropping. His magic receded, and with it the swirls of red that had bled into his eyes faded away.

"Kong!"

"Huh?"

"I've been talking to you this whole time," M said, releasing an annoyed, noisy breath. "Have you heard a single word I said?"