Chapter Eight

Arthit stood in front of the first-years with his hands behind his back, one hand clasping the other's wrist, and scanned the group with a frown. It hadn't been that long since he and his friends had been on the other side, and yet it felt like ages had passed since that time.

Over the past two days, he'd spent all his spare time working with Knot and Deer to prepare himself to be the co-head hazer. They'd gone through everything with him—from traditions he might have forgotten, to the expectations of the head hazer, and then, lastly, to the agreed upon punishments for the freshmen—and then had him practice addressing the freshmen. By the end of the second day, he'd solidified his "hazer persona" and passed the hazer test, which Prem helped them administer.

Although Deer had pronounced him ready, Arthit's stomach roiled as his eyes ran over the confused faces staring back at him. What if they didn't accept him as the co-head hazer? Not only were his circumstances unusual in general—how many head hazers took all their classes with the students they were hazing?—but his secondary gender could easily be a problem for some of the juniors, especially the alphas. Would they listen to him?

But it was too late to back out now.

"First-years," Arthit said, his voice appropriately authoritative. "By now I'm sure you all know who I am. But, in case you've forgotten, I will introduce myself again: my name is Arthit. I am a third year, and your senior in this Faculty of Engineering. Due to circumstances outside our control, I was unable to start the year as part of the hazing team. However, it is now my responsibility as co-head hazer, along with Knot and the others, to look after you and make sure you become disciplined and strictly abide by the rules."

Whispered murmurs spread across the field of students, but only a few immediately replied that they understood. Several alphas looked at him with disdain. They curled their lips and wrinkled their noses at the news, as if they'd stumbled upon some foul odor. Kongpob, however, did not seem to share their disgust; if anything, Arthit could have sworn he caught the beginnings of a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth—but that had to be a mistake.

"Is there a problem?" he snapped at them, his voice booming. "Oh, that's right. Some of you may have concerns. You may think it's strange that co-head hazer is currently enrolled in many of the same classes as you, or you think an omega doesn't deserve a position of authority. Let me make things clear for you: I have been granted this position by the former head hazers, and their decision has been approved by the university as well as accepted by the current hazing team. My schedule and secondary gender are irrelevant. Neither changes the fact that I am your senior, and that I decide whether or not you've earned this." Arthit pulled out the gear from his pocket and held it up, letting it glimmer in the sunlight for a few seconds before lowering his arm.

Arthit tucked his gear back into his shirt pocket and placed his hands behind his back. "I expect to receive full cooperation from all of you," he said. "Which includes making sure that you are on time. What time were you told to come?"

"Four o'clock," answered the first-years, quietly.

"Say it loud and clear! What time were you told to come?"

"Four o'clock!'

Prem stepped forward. "All of you—Put your arms on the shoulders of the people beside you!"

"Keep your heads down!" Bright shouted when he noticed the juniors looking up at them. "Do you want to see my handsome face? Make sure you keep your heads down!"

The first-years grudgingly obliged with their commands. Arthit watched them, his expression serious, squinting due to the sunlight shining in his face.

"What time is it now?" Arthit asked. After a several seconds of complete silence, he asked again, "I asked, what time is it now? No, actually, don't bother answering. I'll tell you. It is now 18 minutes and 57 seconds past 4:00 pm. We started less than five minutes ago. You let us stand here and wait. Do you have any sense of responsibility or did you leave it at home?"