Prologue - Chapter 1

Mashiho's POV:

The autumn leaves were lying around on the benches in the park which reminded me of the times when Junkyu hyung and I used to come to the park to just sit in each other's embrace and think about how lucky we were to have each other.

Today it was awfully quiet in the park as if everyone felt my pain and sorrow. The only sound that could be heard was the rustling of leaves under my feet and the sweet twittering of the birds. Every time I closed my eyes, I had a flashback of the most horrible day in my life.

Sure I had some pretty bad days sometimes but that just set the record. Our bond broke in seconds because of this unknown man who just decided to come into my life out of nowhere. I was innocent. I didn't even know who he was. Heartbreak, that wasn't something I hadn't experienced before but God I wished I wouldn't experience something like that again but obviously, that wasn't the case.

I didn't realize I started crying until a little girl came running into the park while calling for her dad and she pointed out my tears. She looked around for her dad but didn't find her. She didn't cry which was surprising because she must have been around 5 or 6 only.

Suddenly from far away, I heard a voice that sounded familiar, too familiar. I looked around trying to figure out where the voice was coming from.

I then saw someone whom I thought I would never see again, my childhood best friend, Hyunsuk hyung, who left to live in Australia to study. He didn't change at all, the same jet black hair and chocolate brown eyes. I quickly wiped my tears and ran towards him while he did the same. We hugged for around 5 minutes and then he pulled away from the hug much to my displeasure.

"Why are you crying Shiho-yah?" He asked. I dodged his question and said,

"Something went into my eyes because of the wind, don't worry about it."

He gave me his iconic side eye but just stayed silent 'cause no one can get through my stubbornness. We were really happy to see each other and I didn't wanna ruin that handful of happiness.

"So you have a kid now?" I asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" He replied in a teasing tone causing me to roll my eyes.

"After marriage or before marriage?" I asked grinning knowing I was in for a smack.

"Yah! After marriage you dumbass. I don't wanna get killed by my parents."

"Anyway, who's the lucky girl...or guy?" I asked after picking up his little one.

"Jihoon..okay but don't even start with the teasi-" he was speaking but I cut him off.

"JI-JIHOON?! WHO'S A GUY AND YOUR HIGH SCHOOL SEATMATE?! THAT'S IT I SHIP Y'ALL!"

He laughed, amused, and said,

"Yeah yeah whatever! Enough about me, what about you? What have you been up to? Did you get a boyfriend? If so, what is his name?"

He bombarded me with questions. I wanted to lie to him but I felt like that would be unfair to him so I decided to tell him the truth. As I was about to speak, I had flashbacks causing my eyes to become teary and it felt like I lost my ability to speak. Hyunsuk hyung hugged me and sent his little one to the swing at the center of the park.

He asked me what was wrong and I wanted to speak but it was like I was bewitched, I couldn't speak. After a while, I had calmed down a bit so I tried to speak and was successful this time but I just did not want to talk about it to anyone, so I tried changing the subject.

"By the way, what is your child's name?" I asked him. He frowned and said,

"Don't change the subject, Mashiho Takata. You do know you can tell me anything right? You should tell me but I won't force you. If you don't wanna talk about it then that's okay too. I'll be there for you either way."

He called me by my full name which is something he only did when he was angry. He was also worried. Angry with a hint of worry. I guess some things never change.

He ended up telling me her name to sort of calm me down. He said,

"Alright alright I'll tell you. Her name's Haerim, Park Haerim."

"That's a pretty name. Pretty name for a pretty girl." I said smiling softly but that smile didn't last long which made him hug my side tighter.

I sighed sorrowfully and he held my hand softly to comfort me. After a few seconds of gathering my thoughts, I finally started again.

"So what happened is.."