Chapter 2

"For the entire school year?!" Jungkook exploded, gaining pitiful glances from some of the football players across the room.

"Yes, for the entire school year, Mr. Jeon. As you are well aware." Mrs. Lee said tiredly.

Jungkook could feel the new kid shifting next to him. He could sense how her body had gone rigid. He felt a pang of guilt as he spoke to his teacher.

"But she's—she's not really—I mean, she's sort of," Jungkook paused, his head hurt a little. "We're not compatible, are we?"

A few kids were laughing at him on the chose of his words.

"I'm not asking you to marry her, Jungkook. Just work with her on some projects." Mrs. Lee spoke.

People were laughing now and Jungkook felt the heat creeping up the back of his neck. "Alright, go talk to your partners everyone, and decide how you are going to complete this assignment." Mrs.Lee clapped her hands twice before sitting down.

Jungkook looked sideways at Lisa who was avoiding his eyes at all costs. He had the urge to apologize to her but he couldn't because that went against everything. Jungkook took a silent breath and turned to his new partner with a smile.

"Jeon Jungkook." He beamed confidently, extending a hand for the girl to take. Lisa turned her head slowly, her eyes went straight to Jungkook's hand. She eyed it for a few moments and raised her eyes to meet Jungkook's. She lifted a slender hand and slipped it into Jungkook's.

Jungkook felt her skin was tingling widely the moment Lisa's hand touched his. Her skin was baby soft, her hands were warm and slow in movement as she shook Jungkook's hand weakly.

"Lalisa Manoban. Lisa for short." She told him, quietly.

"New?" Jungkook asked.

Lisa's face twisted then, her expression clearly questioning Jungkook's previous statement.

"Are you serious?" she asked, her voice was breaking a little. "You don't remember the 'YG Hit High Welcome' you gave me this morning? The one where you emptied a cup of colored ice over my head?" Lisa said.

Jungkook gaped at Lisa for a moment. His stomach was twisting in knots. He was acually feeling bad about it. He wished he wasn't done it. He didn't want to hurt her, he didn't want her to think that he was a monster, but at the same time he had to do it because everyone had to perceive Jungkook on the spotlight or his reputation at YG Hit would be destroyed.

"Oh, right, that," he muttered. "Didn't anyone tell you that you're not supposed to talk back to me?" he asked.

Lisa rolled her eyes and Jungkook flicker in them.

"Look, do you want me to just do this paper and we can just say that we both did it in the end? Then we won't have to see—" Lisa said.

"No." Jungkook interjected and Lisa turned to look at him, her eyes filled with curiosity. "Manoban, I'm a straight A student. I don't need anyone to do my work for me. Besides," he picked up his book. "I kinda like this book." Jungkook said.

"You like 'Jane Eyre'? Really?" Lisa said, her voice filled with surprise and Jungkook smiled.

"Yes, why does that come as such a shock to you?" Jungkook asked.

"You don't seem like the type." Was all Lisa said.

"I'm full of surprise." Jungkook informed her with a smirk on his face. "So, listen." Jungkook said. "We're going to do this properly. We're going to get an A on this thing, so," he reached across and grabbed the pen that was on his desk in front of Lisa and wrote something. "Here's my number, so we can make some sort of arrangement. You'd better get me yours, just in case you decide not to call me and do this thing by yourself and thus inhibiting my learning experience and spurning my ability to work as a team." He shoved his book forward and held out the pen. Lisa took it and wrote her number as well on it.