Chapter 9

*Flashbacks in bold*

Location: Outside Gilani Office building, Downtown Budapest

Time: 10:00 am, 4 days after the murder

Stepping outside the car, Abigail realized the sun was too bright for her to see clearly. She looked for her sunglasses but realized she had left them back at the station, thus she went ahead without them making a shade of her hand over her eyes. She took quick, long steps and reached the top of the stairs that led up to the lobby. But before she could proceed, her eyes fell on a person coming out through the glass door. His face looked familiar, which put her into thinking. A few seconds later she realized it was indeed the man she had been looking for since day one of the investigation. Ali.

"Excuse me?"

"Yes?" Ali put down his phone that was pressed against his ears and stopped at the voice.

"I believe you are Ali? The GIlanis head of staff?"

Ali frowned at her and nodded.

"I've been looking for you actually. I'm officer Hughes. I'm in-charge of the murder investigation."

"Oh. Okay." He looked at her waiting for her to add on.

"Could you spare a few minutes? I've to ask you a few questions."

"I'd love to officer but it won't be possible. I have to rush to somewhere for work."

As soon as he turned around to walk away, Abigail spoke up again, trying her best not to let him go.

"You do realize it's a murder investigation Mr. Ali. And you are a person of interest. Sooner or later you will have to give your statement to the police."

Ali turned back on his heels and gave her a lopsided smile.

"Well then it's a shame officer, that you won't be able to get it today. Like I said, I have work to do. And I know that you can't force me into interrogation without a warrant so..."

He shrugged his shoulders and began to descend the stairs, leaving a vexed Abigail cursing through her teeth behind.

_________________________

Deep breaths Tara, deep breaths.

She tried to calm herself as she rang the bell. She had rehearsed what she was going to say to Jankee many times but standing outside her apartment made it real, and that's when her nerves started to kick in again. Tara was not the kind the person who would be intimated easily. But this woman was an eccentric of special order and she had no idea what to expect when she would tell her she wants to quit. Jankee had always prized Tara as her 'luckiest find'. Of course she would not want to let go of her so easily. But Tara had come determined and string will. Today she will free herself from the clutches of this woman at any cost.

"Yes?" Her maid asked upon opening the door.

"Is Jankee at home? Tell her Tara's here."

"Let her come Saavi." Jankee's voice came from inside the house. The maid opened the door wider and stepped aside, allowing her to come in. She took a few steps forwards and saw Jankee sitting on a sofa in the living room with a magazine open on her lap.