Chapter Four ; Regimen Schemes

Toby walks down the halls slowly, thinking about the desperation in Zephyr's voice. He doesn't understand why she wants to save him, he agreed to put her mind at ease. Today was a day for relaxing, Dr. Schwartz said he needed a bit of a break yet Zephyr is bringing his stress levels up. He stops in his tracks when a skateboard rolls into the hallway, he stops it with his foot and sees a boy around Zephyrs age on the floor. "Oh damn, oh- oh no..." Toby stares, curious. "You missed the show."

He chuckles, "Oh yeah? You doing stunts in there?" He asks, looking around the boys room.

"Well, there's no better place to break a leg." The boy replies.

"Fairs. I'm Tobias, most call me Toby. New nurse yet a patient." Toby rolls the skateboard back to the boy who is now on his feet smiling.

"I'm Joey." Joey smiles and Toby chuckles, they both sit on the floor. "What'd you mean when you said new nurse and yet a patient? You breakin' rules over there." Toby laughs and shrugs.

"You could say that. I have cancer, I'm here on a new drug trial and because of my work history, they offered me a job. There's a tumour on my spine and it's growing as we speak, but it's whatever." Joey frowns and sighs. "What?"

"I don't think thats a whatever situation, I think that's pretty rough. When did that happen?" Joey asked and Toby paused, counting in his head. How long had it been?

"Just over a year ago, I think. And yeah, it's pretty rough but if I pretend it doesn't exist then I suppose I'll live. As I said, it's whatever right? The pain sucks but what can you do?" He sighs and plays with the bracelet on his wrist, he can feel Joey's gaze on him, but he doesn't look up.

"I'm sure that attitude is what's giving Zephyr fits." Joey skates between walls, paying attention to not falling this time.

"Yeah, what's up with that? She told me she had control issues or something?"

"Call it what you want. She's got her shit together, she definitely keeps me in line." Joey says, "I get into shit a lot, forget shit a lot, Zeph has always been there to kick my ass in line and keep me alive. And well, here we are." Toby nods.

"So have you two..." Toby gives Joey the eyes, and Joey smirks. "Ever..." Then Toby whistles, causing Joey to laugh.

"No, no."

"No?"

"No. I've known that girl since I was like, born. It's kinda crazy, we've been friends since forever and I admire everything she does and how she does it," Joey smiles to himself and Toby tilts his head. "She's amazing."

"I don't know, mate," Toby stretches and eyes the boy on the skateboard down before smirking, "Sounds like you love her to me." Joey continues to skate between walls, backwards and forwards. The sound of the wheels on the floor was satisfying, calming even. Especially to him.

"Of course I love her."

"Then why haven't you done anything about it?" Toby asks, wondering if Joey was scared of rejection. Then again, it wasn't any of his business.

"Because..." Joey pushes away from the wall and chucklea shyly, "She's not a he." Toby leans up from against the wall slowly and tilts his head, then it hits him. He laughs and looks away, realising it all makes sense now. "Don't worry, I don't like white boys."