3

dear maura,

marble shore is ominous without you.

the aquamarine waves don't gently lap at the sand, but instead crash upon them forming miniature tidal pools each time. i haven't found any seashells like the ones in your collection, yet. i have spotted a few shards of sea glass and driftwood, however.

the rocky humps have transformed into dull grey mounds of sharpness. it's more of a health hazard then the beauty we saw it as.

you remember that?

it was a chilly, january evening. we had just returned from my parent's home and it was late.

just before you began to doze off in the car, you begged me to stop at the entrance to marble. being the sucker that i am for you, i parked and we traversed down the roughly etched path.

the sun had just started to dip below the black waves. we stood hand in hand, admiring how it slowly slipped beneath our sightline, disappearing into the ocean.

eventually, you rested your tender head on my chest and my lanky arms enveloped you. god, we remained that way for hours. the muffled lapping of the sea surrounded us and our feet rubbed against the rocky sub-shore.

i wonder if you could've felt my quickening heart beat as you lied against my torso.

hopefully, you did.

anyways, our poses were maintained for a lengthy time. that was, until you uttered the phrase which made me fall for you.

"these rocks are beautiful."

yes, this is what i made me realize my love for you.

it fazed me how you found beauty in an eye-sore for others. you excluded any undesirable qualities that society would only focus on and breathed self-confidence into that life form.

i discovered a new perspective with your compliment. and ever since that moment, i used that and noticed all the small things in life.

but without your kindness, the beach is lifeless.

just like you are currently

love, luke