Chapter 3

=Ship Log Continuation=

=

Ashra is back! I'm ecstatic. It really is lonely without him. Even though he barely speaks.

Yes, I KNOW. But you're part of the story—you could at least help.

=Transcript edit, ASHRA=

"help"

=End of edit=

Where did I leave off?

Do you remember taking me to your quarters? I wonder, sometimes, what you were thinking.

=Transcript edit, ASHRA=

where do i put this idiot where he wont be found

=End of edit=

We walked through more nondescript hallways that all looked the same. These days I navigate by how close or far the reactor core is. It's the loudest, most vibrating part of the whole ship aside from the thrusters. This particular hallway was in Sector C, adjacent to the living quarters. Of course, to younger me, it was just another long metal hallway in a maze of metal hallways. Right. Let me get back, um, back into that place and time. 

We were walking. Through metal tunnels. Our boots made that horribly dead sound you get when you walk on metal. Sharp and tinny. It was like being on the ground, but worse. Even dirt has living things in it. It's not completely dead.

It was empty in the ship, I couldn't help but notice. Just him, and I. For a ship as big as this one, I assumed there would be thousands of warriors, waiting to fly down in glistening silver craft to burn down the Great Wood. But there was nobody, and indeed nobody, all the way to the next hallway, in which there were doo—indents in the walls that I learned were doors, but they had no knobs or anything.

I learned they were doors when Ashra stood in front of one and it opened by itself. He walked through it. I put only my head through the now empty frame, peeking around for whoever opened it. No one was there. I came all the way in, and the door shut behind me with a shush, and I jumped. I got my nose right up to the door, and it opened again. I ran out, looking every which way, trying to locate the mysterious door opener.

No luck.

Ashra laughed at me.

Oh HAHA, Ashra. Still funny?

He grabbed my arm and led me back through the door.

It was the weirdest place in the galaxy—Ashra's room.

There was a big bed with black covers, and on every wall, crammed together side by side and on top of each other, taking every inch of space, were weapons.

I'm not kidding. Even back then I could recognize a deadly instrument. It didn't matter that they were likely from other planets. You take any sentient race that develops into bipedal vertabrates and you'll find things conforming to the formula handle+blade. All these things hung on every wall. Things I could describe as swords, axes, knives, maces. Even a few spears hanging horizontally over the headboard of the bed. There were other things there, too, things I didn't understand. Swords that could turn into blasters, blasters that could turn into nun chucks. Ridiculous amounts of melee and short range firepower.

I glanced down at the sword hanging at my hip. Before that day, my sword had been the only thing of its kind on my world. Now there was an entire world up here made of it, and on these walls, more weapons like mine, made of metal, shining, ringing. I drew my sword and held it up to a sword of black metal, comparing them.

Sudden chattering drew my attention back up, and I found Ashra pointing at my sword with an excited expression. He ran to the wall and pointed to a spot, then ran to another wall and pointed to a spot there.