Someone You Loved

"I'm going under and this time I fear there's no one to save me
This all or nothing really got a way of driving me crazy
I need somebody to heal
Somebody to know
Somebody to have
Somebody to hold
It's easy to say
But it's never the same
I guess I kinda liked the way you numbed all the pain"

Eaglewing walked through the darkened forest. He'd been gone for so many moons. He'd gotten lost when Amourclan had migrated from their old territory due to contamination of water. He had not seen his mate, Missingsight, since he got separated from the group. Now he was following stale scents. But he's not too far away now. 

"Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved"

Eaglewing finally found fresh scents and started running towards the origin of the scent. He ran up to an entrance made from roses. Many colors, and a few flowers of a different species here and there. He walked in through the camp entrance and stopped dead. His mate was curled up just inside the clan entrance with another tom, a younger tom, being cleaned. Eaglewing tilted his head. “Starlingflight?” The black she-cat looked up to the sound of his voice. “E...Eaglewing? I thought you were dead. We all deemed you dead.” 

“I'm going under and this time I fear there's no one to turn to
This all or nothing way of loving got me sleeping without you
Now, I need somebody to know
Somebody to heal
Somebody to have
Just to know how it feels
It's easy to say but it's never the same
I guess I kinda liked the way you helped me escape”

Eaglewing flattened his ears. “You didn’t believe I’d return, did you, love? I promised you that I’d never leave you alone. I got separated crossing the river a few moons ago. The thought of you kept me moving,” Missingsight looked a little distraught. “Eaglewing, this is my new mate, Scorchfire.” Scorchfire was a small, long-furred dark ginger tom with blazing green eyes. He had a scar under his left eye and a crooked jaw. But the jaw was so crooked that you could see nearly every tooth on the left side of his face. Like Missingsight, his disability might have caused him an early retirement or caused him to be deemed undesirable. 

“Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved
And I tend to close my eyes when it hurts sometimes
I fall into your arms
I'll be safe in your sound 'til I come back around”

Missingsight piped up when he remained silent, “He comforted me when I thought you were dead. He’s good to Cloudsky, Pinemoon, and Witheredcry. They missed you too.” Eaglewing sighed. “Does he make you happy, Missingsight, my dearest?” Missingsight was silent for a long time. “Y...Yes, he does. He stays with me in the Elders den. He asked for early retirement after he broke his jaw.” The brown tom slowly nodded, “I’m very happy you were able to find happiness. I’m going to search for the children.” The tom walked off, sulking as he wandered around the new camp, searching for the scents of his children. 

“For now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved”

Just then, a red she-cat, a black and white tom, and a grey and white tom barreled into him. “Papa!” The black and white tom yelled, delighted in the return of his father. “Oh, papa, we thought you were dead. We were so miserable without you,” The red she-cat cuddled close to him, nearly in tears. The grey and white tom gave him a watery smile. He hugged each of his adoptive children close. “I missed you. Every single one of you. Thank you for comforting and supporting your mother.” He sighed, the weight of his change in relationship status wearing him down even more. 

“But now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved”

The three younger warriors looked up at their father. “You’re not upset she has a new mate, papa?” The black and white tom, who had a twisted foot, asked his father. “No, Witheredcry, I’m not upset. Your mother deserves whatever happiness she can get, even if it inconveniences me. I love her. That’s never going to change. But if she loves another, I’m going to respect that. I can find another, just like she did. A real tom doesn’t fight if she doesn’t want him to. How about we get something to eat?” All the children looked hesitant, but finally nodded and followed their heartbroken father to the fresh kill pile. 

“I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved”