Hard Luck Woman

“If never I met you
I'd never have seen you cry
If not for our first hello
We'd never have to say goodbye”

Deerheart was returning to camp after a hunting patrol, and looked over to see little Pinepaw pouncing over to him. She beamed up at him, ”Deerheart! I caught a fish today!” Deerheart smiled,”That’s great! Did you use the technique I t0ld you about?" The pretty little red she-cat nodded quickly. “Good. I told you it would help you.” 

“If never I held you
My feeling's would never show
It's time I start walkin'
But there's so much you'll never know”

Pinepaw nodded.”it helped a lot.” Her eyes glimmered. He’d seen that look before. That was… love. Love was glittering in her pretty amber eyes. He sighed. Oh no. He wasn’t right for her. She needed a tom who was stronger. Someone who didn’t have the haunted past that he did. His mother and father were tyrants. His mentor, Acornshadow, had taught him that his parents didn’t make him who he was. Although Deerheart had listened to him and followed his advice, his parentage haunted him. 

“I keep telling you hard luck woman
You ain't a hard luck woman”

Pinepaw saw in his eyes that he knew. He knew she was in love with him. The little red she-cat blushed, her ears turning as pink as a new leaf rose. “Pinepaw. Listen… I really like you. As a friend. Not how you like me. You should find a tom your own age. You should find a tom who isn’t as haunted as I am. I’m a haunted soul. I wouldn’t be a good mate. You’re my sunshine, yes, but I’d blow out that little candle that you carry for every cat. I don’t want to ruin you, Pinepaw.” Deerheart sighed. He knew that was going to hurt her. 

"Rags, the sailor's only daughter
A child of the water
Too proud to be a queen
Rags, I really love ya
I can't forget about ya
You'll be a hard luck woman
Baby, 'till you find your man
You'll be a hard luck woman
Baby, 'till you find your man"

Pinepaw stared up at Deerheart, distraught. She’d built so many dreams… She’d built them off the attention he’d paid to her. She’d built them off all the leaf-bare nights they’d cuddled in the apprentice den to keep warm. She’d built them off the dreamy look she’d saw in his gorgeous emerald eyes. But now, all of her bridges were burning, all of her dreams crashing around her ears. 

“Before I go let me kiss you
And wipe the tears from your eyes
I don't want to hurt you, girl
You know I could never lie” 

He smiled wanly down at her, and touched his nose to hers before bouncing off, coming to a stop next to Tawnysky, a warrior who’d migrated in, and brushed up against her to give Pinepaw the thought they had something going on. 

"I keep telling you hard luck woman
You ain't a hard luck woman
You'll be a hard luck woman
Baby, 'till you find your man"

She sighed, shoving down her emotions. She couldn't let him see how much his rejection had hurt her. She couldn't let him see her tears. So she turned and trotted off to the apprentice den.

"Rags, the sailor's only daughter
A child of the water
Too proud to be a queen
Rags, I really love ya
I can't forget about ya
You'll be a hard luck woman
Baby, 'till you find your man
You'll be a hard luck woman
Baby, 'till you find your man"

Deerheart was, too, heartbroken. He did love Pinepaw, but he was afraid he was going to hurt her. Oh well… This was the best he could do. He couldn't risk hurting her in anyway. It would ruin him forever, to see her cry ever again. 

"Oh yeah, bye bye, so long, don't cry
I'm just packin' my bags, whoa, leavin' you
Bye bye, bye bye, bye bye, baby, don't cry
I gotta keep on movin', yeah movin'
Bye, bye my baby
Ooh, don't cry, lady, oh"