Freedom

Amara laid on the couch, both hands across her stomach. She smiled every time she felt the tiny bumps against her hands. The babies were kicking almost in a rhythm. It was weird. When one kicked twice, the other one kicked twice.

"I wish I knew which of you was which," Amara said out loud. "This feels weird, but the doctor says you can hear me in there, so--I'm talking to you."

She glanced over at the door to her bedroom that was still closed. It was quieter than it had been at all the day.

"I hope they can start getting along soon," Amara continued. "You guys will love them. I've known Ethan since we were in church together. That was a long time ago, but here we are, going to church together again. And Gabby--we've been friends since college." She sighed. "I hope she sticks around. I wouldn't tell her this, but I kind of agree with Ethan. I'm worried that she's going to run off with a guy, and leave us alone. Although now, it doesn't seem like that's going to happen, which is good I guess.But I hate seeing her so unhappy."

One of the babies suddenly moved, almost like it was rolling over. Amara sat up quickly. It didn't really hurt, but she had to get up almost instantly. 

"Well, thank you very much," she said. "Now I have to pee again."

Gabby slumped against the headboard of Amara's bed. The sun had set a while ago, reminding her and Ethan just how long they had been in there. But neither one wanted to apologize. Gabby refused to believe that this was her fault.

Ethan, however, sat on the floor near the bed, trying to figure out what to do now. Maybe he had been slightly jealous of Gabby. He didn't like that she had someone, while he had been friendzoned by the girl of his dreams. Not to mention, Amara wouldn't go out with him now. Not while she had her kids to care for.

He hung his head as he held back tears. He had been wanting to date Amara for years, but now he couldn't. Maybe things would be different for all of them if he had just worked up the courage before.

"There's always going to be some part of him that's with her now. Isn't there?" Ethan said quietly.

Gabby glanced over at him. "What?"

"There's always going to be a part of Mr. Leonard with Amara now, isn't there?" He repeated. "Now that she's having his kids."

"He'll always be the father, if that's what you mean," Gabby said. She slid to the edge of the bed nearest to Ethan. "But why does that matter?"

Ethan put his head in his hands. "I'm a stupid coward. I should have asked her out when I had the chance. Maybe then she wouldn't be a single mom, with a man who doesn't know how to appreciate her."

"You can't blame yourself," Gabby admitted. "Even if you did ask, that doesn't mean she necessarily would have said yes."

"Wow, thanks," Ethan said dryly. "That's really helping my confidence."

Gabby crossed her arms. "Well, I'm sorry, but sometimes you need a dose of reality. And you in particular, need it bad. I don't exactly have a lot of sympathy for you right now."

Ethan sighed. "Yeah, I know."

They sat in silence for a few more minutes. Ethan had to force himself into it, but he knew that he had to be the next one to speak.

"Look," he started, "I'm sorry."

Gabby looked at him in surprise, but he kept going so that he didn't change his mind.

"I didn't mean to ruin your relationship. I really didn't. I just--I really thought you were going to leave Amara and I, and I wasn't ready to do this without any additional help."

Gabby cocked an eyebrow. 

"Okay. I was also thinking--if Amara and I doing this as single people, you should too," Ethan admitted. 

"That is probably the most honest thing you've said to me since we've started helping Amara," Gabby said. 

Ethan let out a tiny laugh. "I didn't mean to wreck anything, but maybe you were right. Maybe I was a little jealous of you guys."

"Well," Gabby said slowly, "maybe I was starting to drift away a bit. Just looking back, I kind of realized that I was with Ken way more than Amara in this past month. I mean, I'm not sorry for having a relationship, and I'm still mad about your reaction to that, but I am sorry that I was focusing more on him than I was on helping."

"I think you and I were too focused on fighting with each other," Ethan said. "We forgot about the real reason we're even interacting."

"Yeah. Amara," Gabby concluded. "I'm thinking we need to set this stuff aside for a while."

"I agree," Ethan said. "And we need to focus on Amara. Because she needs us right now."

After a minute, they suddenly heard the doorknob jiggling. Gabby stood up quickly, with Ethan following quickly. The door opened, revealing Amara with the keys.

"Did I actually hear a sincere apology?" she asked with a smile.

"What, do you have super hearing or something?" Gabby asked.

"I had to go to the bathroom again, but answer the question," Amara said. "Are you guys actually getting along?"

"Kind of," Ethan said.  "We're putting aside our differences and trying to get along."

"For your sake," Gabby put in.

Amara nodded and smiled in understanding. "I appreciate it. Really. Now come on, there's still a bit of meatloaf left."

Later that night, Amara and Gabby were sitting on the couch. Ethan had already left, but Gabby was staying the night. While Amara read her pregnancy book, Gabby spoke to the people who were looking to rent the house.

"So they said we can come look at the house around noon," Gabby said, hanging up the phone.

"Sounds good," Amara said. She closed her book and turned to Gabby. "I'm sorry about Ken. I wish I could have helped."

"It's not your fault," Gabby sighed.

"Why did he even come here?" Amara asked.

"I told him that if he ever went to my apartment, and I wasn't there, then more than likely I would be here," Gabby said. "So, I gave him your address."

"Okay, but why did he think you were cheating on him? If he knew I lived here, why wouldn't he think Ethan was with me?"

"I don't know, maybe he did," Gabby admitted, "but you weren't here to verify, so I guess he just assumed the worst."

"Well, he's missing out," Amara said. "As much as I missed you, I was really proud that you had actually begun forming a real relationship."

"Thanks," Gabby smiled. "I don't know. Maybe it's better this way. At least now, I can focus all of my attention on you, and making sure these babies are healthy and safe."

Amara smiled. And even though she knew it was going to be okay, part of her still felt bad for Gabby. She wondered if maybe there was some way they could fix this whole thing.