Beneath All My Dishonest Bullshit

Stumbling through the door, I found my family awaiting my arrival with coffee in hand, disappointed looks upon their faces.

"And where have you been?" my mother asked sternly.

"Uhh, there was a party. I didn't want to come home late and wake everyone up, so I stayed at my friend Erin's house. We were totally safe and I'm sorry for not calling." I knew as the words escaped my mouth that nothing I could say would make a difference. I knew they didn't even want to look at me- make-up smudged, hair tangled, eyes droopy and breath fatal. I was an absolute mess. But what's worse- I didn't see it. I felt like I deserved that night. Hell, I was old enough to get drunk with my college friends and not come home for the night. Or so I thought- shit, was I wrong. 

"We'll discuss your punishment after you've cleaned yourself up. Your mess of an appearance tells me you enjoyed yourself last night." The tone that lingered with every word she spoke, broke my heart deep, deep down inside. I, however, chose to ignore that sharp pain hidden beneath all my dishonest bullshit. 

Once I showered, washed the make-up off my face and brushed my dragon breath, I checked my phone. I had 10 missed calls, 13 text messages- at first I recognized it as popularity and my ego silently exploded. A night out and a bunch of notifications? I was on top of the world. But it all faded once I found most messages from my mother, father and best friends. There was however a number which I didn't recognize. 

Hey it's Jay. Thanks again for last night. Hopefully I'll get to see that beautiful face soon. 

Oh god, what did that mean? Why did he thank me? A million and one thoughts raced through my mind.  Do I respond?