Chapter One

Quirin loaded the last of the pumpkins into the wheelbarrow when he decided to take a short break. He had been working in the fields all morning, and he wanted to have lunch with Varian.

Quirin had been spending more and more time with his son after he was freed from his amber prison. They never spent much time together before the incident, and now Quirin realized how much they really needed each other. They were, after all, the only family they had left.

Quirin headed inside to make Varians favorite: ham sandwiches. He walked into the kitchen and started preparing the meal. He himself wasn't a huge fan of ham sandwiches, but he knew it'd make Varian smile.

After Quirin finished making lunch he went to find Varian. He called down to his lab, but he wasn't really expecting an answer. Ever since the princess had given Varian the Deminatus Chamber as a new workplace, he was hardly ever in his home lab anymore. Except for late night research and experiments. He had come to realize Varian didn't like working at home after what happened with the amber.

Varian normally went down to the Deminatus Chamber early in the morning and was back for lunch, so Quirin found it odd Varian wasn't home yet. He was almost always late, but never this late.

Quirin was getting ready to head to the kingdom to look for his son when he heard a pounding knock on the door. It took him a moment to register the noise. Hardly anyone knocked on their door. When Varian got visitors they typically let themselves in. Shortly after there was another knock, rapid and loud. He walked down the stairs and opened the door, surprised to see the Captain of the Guard standing in his doorway.

"Captain? What are you-"

"Quirin! Thank God you're home. Quick, you need to come to the palace. It's urgent!"

Quirin blinked, confused. "Captain, whatever The Kings problem is, I'm sure he can handle it hims-"

"No, Quirin, it's not the king. It's Varian-he's been injured." He interrupted.

Quirin's heart stopped. A pit of ice formed in his stomach, and it felt like time had ceased to exist. He couldn't think or breathe or speak because-

Varian had been hurt.