Shining Blue Eyes

I just want to say... BEFORE you read this... You may want to have tissues near you...

APRIL:

Anna quietly snuck out of the cabin during dinner and went to the children’s cabin to see Dorian. When she walked in, she made her way to his bed in the corner. She looked at his delicate little face. He was asleep.

She went to him and placed her hand over his. He stirred at her touch and slowly opened his eyes. Anna could see the depths of his blue eyes. He looked into her eyes and whispered, “Auntie Anna…”

She smiled at him. “Hey, little guy. How are you feeling today?”

He exhaled hard. “Okay.”

“You’re going to get better, though. I promise. And then we’re going to go home, and you’re going to see Mommy and Daddy, and Grandma and Grandpa. It’ll be okay.”

“Okay, Anna,” he said weakly.

She noticed his breathing was slowing. “Dorian, honey, are you okay?” She picked him up and held him close. His eyes closed slightly. “Baby, it’s okay if you’re tired,” she said gently. She began to panic when he didn’t say anything. “Dorian?” She said louder. His eyes opened. She sighed in relief. “Okay. Honey, you can’t do that me. You can’t scare me like that…”

He smiled at her. “I’m sorry, Auntie,” he said quietly. “Auntie Anna?”

“Yes, Dorian?”

“Where are Mommy and Daddy?”

“I don’t know, sweetie. I wish I could tell you,” she said as she looked away.

“Auntie?”

“Yes, sweetie?”

“I don’t feel so good. My head has an owie.” His breathing was becoming ragged.

“It’ll go away, baby. I promise.”

“Anna? It’s getting hard.”

“What’s getting hard?” She asked. She was beginning to worry as she watched his face slowly turn pale.

“Auntie Anna, I…I…”

“What is it, Dorian?” She was panicking. “What’s wrong?” His eyes were slowly closing. “Dorian…”

“…can’t…it…hurts…no more…” His weak voice said.

“Baby, stay with me, okay? Don’t fall asleep yet. Wait for Chris to come. He’ll make you all better.” Her throat tightened as she watched his chest rise and fall slower. She saw it fall and waited for it to rise again, to fill his lungs with air. “Dorian…,” she whispered with tears silently rolling down her cheeks. Her heart skipped a beat when he didn’t respond. “Dorian, look at Auntie Anna. Look at me,” she said with urgency. But he didn’t respond. She gently placed her hand over his little chest where his heart is. But she didn’t feel a beat...

“He’s gone.” She said in disbelief

She slowly picked his body up and cradled him in her arms while sitting on the floor next to his bed. “Dorian,” she whispered. “No…Dorian, don’t…” She shook him slightly. “Open your eyes, Dorian. You can do it. For me. For Mommy. For Daddy. Open your eyes honey. Chris will come. He’ll make it all better…please just come back.” Her voice faded away as Dorian lie still. She pulled him closer to her chest and held him tighter. She couldn’t help but sob quietly to herself in the corner with him, wetting his face with her tears.

“God, why him? Why an innocent child? Why did you take him from me! What wrong did he do?! Tell me God, why HIM!” She demanded to know why, with vengeance in her voice.