Chapter 1- Loser

~Lauren's Point of view~

I'm doomed, what am I gonna tell them? My Aunt have been expecting something this time but I failed. It's hard to gamble their trust and patience to achieve my dreams and to come home with a prize and title.

It's 4 a.m. and I am standing in front our door step with my guitar on my back. I prayed for a while, hoping that everything will be smooth.

I took a deep breath and knocked on our door. I knocked for several times and finally the door banged open, revealing my half awake Aunt. Hair is messed up with wrinkly night gown.

"What the heck are you so late?" She asked as she let me in.

"I'm sorry, there was no cab late at night so I slept with my friend." I said. My heart began to pace it's beat.

"Is that a guy?" She asked.

"No, she's my music buddy." I answered.

"So how was it?" She asked referring to the contest I joined last night.

I got anxious and my knees started to tremble.

She sighed and shook her head in dismay.

"You are not carrying any trophy or something with you. Again. I'm sure you have a consolation prize?"

"Here." I said handing her an envelope.

"Just 85$?"

"I'm sorry, I need to pay for my depts. I also need to have another guitar, it's a requirement." I said.

"Music School is tiresome, if I were you just use your brains for academics. You can have your scholarship. In music school, it's trial and error. You said you love music yet you can't win it." She scoffed as she walked out.

I stood there as her words sink in me.  "Damn." I curse as I went to my room.

I layed down to my bed and sighed. I hugged my pillow and a tear escaped my eye.

"Am I not good enough?" I asked myself as I recall the scene last night.

I was there in the stage, yet the spotlight and the crowd goes for the winner. I was there hoping I could make it this time, yet I failed. I have done all my practice and make it all perfect, yet I didn't win. Maybe my opponent is much prettier.

It's so unfair.

I couldn't help it but to cry. I am too sensitive when it comes to losing on what I love.

I cried as my eyes went heavy. I was so tired and I was dragged to a deep slumber.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Lauren Blake of  North Harmonious Performing Arts School, give her a round of applause."  The Emcee announced .

I went up to the stage and the crowd goes wild.

I strummed my guitar to start but the lights went off. I gasped and I stretched out my arms because I couldn't see anything.

My hand caught the mic with a stand but it fell off and created a loud ring in our ears, only to trigger a commotion in the arena.

The lights starts to flicker, giving me a chance to see the arena is already empty.

I was alone and I got scared.

"Hello!?" I said out loud.

The atmosphere went cold and eerie. I was frozen where I was.

I heard a thud from behind, followed by a calm humming of a woman, more like a lullaby.

I turned around but I was hit in the head. It was my guitar being held by a woman with long skirt.

I started to tremble when she gave me that crooked smile with her backbones broken. I can clearly see her bones coming out. It was gory and disturbing.

I tried to shout for help, yet my voice was gone. I tried to speak and scream yet nothing is coming out. I can only hear her lullaby as she came close, raising my guitar for another hit.

I was frozen in place and I can do nothing. She started hitting me again for several times until my guitar was wrecked.

" Te Maldigo! Te Matare!" She continuosly shout and plays with her pretty voice.

"Te Maldigo! Te Matare!" Over and over again until one last strong hit struck me to darkness.

"Lauren! Lauren! Wake up!" A heard my bestfriend's voice.

"Ugh" I said raising my head. I can feel my face is wet and I have a strong headache. I slept in class and now I had a terrible nightmare.

"Thanks for walking me up. It was a nightmare." I said to her.

"Everything is fine now. What is it all about?"

"Nothing, maybe I am just nervous for our upcoming Theatre." I said.

"It's okay, I know you can do it."

"Thanks Melody, now let's go grab something to munch." I said.

Melody is my bestfriend , she's the best singer and star in our school.

Te Maldigo means I curse you.

Te Matare means I'll kill you.

Both in Spanish.