An Endless Night

Once we finished our lunch, I couldn't help myself but to just looked out the window. Once in a while, I would take a sip from the guiness pint. I couldn't remember the last time I had a pint of guiness. The taste was an odd taste, the thickness of the foam and the bitter taste was very different than the other drinks I used to have. I noticed that Rowena's green eyes were checking up on me, but she stayed quiet - giving me the time in the world to at least eased the pain a bit.

I sighed heavily before turning my gaze towards her and an apologetic smile was formed in my lips, "I'm sorry that I ruined this date. I just... I never opened up to anyone regarding myself. And I didn't realize that it would hurt so much nor affected me in such a way."
Rowena gave me a small sigh and shook her head, "It's fine, Alex. I never thought that you had such a heart-breaking past and I'm sorry about all of them. But I'm glad that you decided to trust me and tell me that. I can't change your past, nor can you. But what I can tell you that is you don't have to go through it alone. Not anymore... you have me now and I will make sure to keep you as a whole. If you'll let me."

Something about what she said had sent a sense of relief through my soul. I've never had anyone so genuine, someone who cared about me like she did, someone who was willing to stood by me; not because of who I was, but for the real me. The Alexander Hammond who had flaws and far from perfections.

"Thank you, Rowena... it means the world to me," I said with a smile and took her hand in mine.

-------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the day went pretty smoothly afterwards, Rowena and I just talked about things. It all seemed pretty natural and for a second, I was happy that we both shared a common feelings and comfort. We must have drunk pints and pints of guiness, before we realized that we were the last two customers and the pub was about to close. Once we settled the bill, we walked out towards my car.

"Ummm Rowena," I said while slipping into the driver's seat, "I have this golf charity event at 2 PM tomorrow and I was wondering if you would like to accompany me?"

Rowena's smile spread towards her face and she nodded, "I would be honoured, Mr. Hammond."

The drive towards Rowena's flat was fast and for a bit I felt bad that the sound of my engine roared loudly on the street. Her flat was located in a quiet area, you wouldn't see many cars on the street nor people for that matters. I cringed when we finally stopped in front of her flat and saw that some people in the flat were looking out through their windows.

"Sorry..." I mumbled to Rowena
She practically laughed and shook her head, "You don't have to apologize, Alex. People are just not used to hearing loud noises in here, hence from a car alone. And some of them maybe just curious how on earth someone who has a car like that would end up in this kind ofneighborhood."

I walked her to her flat and stopped in front of the door. Rowena's green eyes were locked on mine as she said, "Would you like to come in?" and I just nodded.

Rowena told me to seat on the couch while she changed. As I sat down, I couldn't help myself but to looked around her living room once again. It was funny how small that place was compared to mine, and yet it gave the warmth that the spacious penthouse of mine never gave me. I tilted my head back on the couch and stared at the broken white ceilings; and just like that, all of my life started to flash before me once again. My childhood, my parents, my youth, my struggles and how Rowena Hart entered my life and changed my world in a heart beat. I was so lost in my own thoughts, I didn't even realize that Rowena had sat next to me with two cups of hot tea. She nudged me on the elbow and I immediately fixed my posture and smiled to her.