The new intern

The board meeting was excruciating as I had predicted. The board members were asking me all the stupid questions as I had anticipated and some of them even questioned my leadership and business method.

Storming off from the glass conference room, I was passing through a long hallway and into a big glass room. At the center of the room, there was a big long black marble table where my black Imac stood perfectly next to the stack of black folders. Behind the desk was glass windows overviewing the skyline of London. On the left side of the room, there was a small glass cabinet that was filled with baccarat glasses and the most expensive alcohols you could ever imagine. Across from the glass cabinet was a long black velvet sofa, accompanied by long crystal tables. My office had that elegance and monochrome vibe, because I had always loved black, white and gray. I thought those three colours blended perfectly together.

Taking a seat behind my marble desk, I turned my chair and looked over the skyline behind me. My mind started to drift off again. I had been having trouble keeping my focus lately and somehow I didn't know why. It wasn't like Alexander Hammond, the Alexander Hammond I knew would put business and himself more than anything else. And the loneliness had been hitting me with its all lately. I hated the feeling. As the man who had it all, you would think your life was perfect and when it wasn't, you started to wonder what the meaning of life truly is.

My thoughts were disturbed abruptly when the phone on my desk rang. It was my personal assistant calling.

"Mr. Hammond, the intern is here to do the final interview with you," said Christie

"What interview?" I replied with an arched eyebrow

"The intern candidates from The Hammond University Program, sir? You told me that the last candidate would have a one-on-one interview with you?"

"Ah yes... please send her in. Thank you for reminding me, Christie. I completely forgot about it."

"The pleasure is mine, Mr. Hammond. Her resume is on your desk."

I hung up the phone and grabbed the first folder on top of the stack. I looked at the photograph carefully. She was wearing a rimless glasses that hid her dark green eyes. Her hair was a bit curly and they were light brown. In the photograph, she was smiling and I swore that I had never seen a smile as bright and beautiful as hers. Her blossom pink lips stretched and she got a deep dimple on her right cheek. For a moment, I was lost in that smile. There was something about that beautiful smile that lit up my world - a feeling that I hadn't felt for a long long time. I didn't even read the rest of her resume, but as far as I was concerned, she was hired.

The door to my office swung opened and I shifted my brown eyes up to the figure who walked into my office in a quirky manner. She was wearing a gray pencil skirt and a broken white blouse, the light gray blazer hung from both of her shoulders. She was perfect...

She walked towards my desk and I stood up from my chair, extending a hand. A genuine smile was stretched on my lips.

"Good afternoon. I'm Alexander Hammond. Please take a seat," I said while gesturing for her to sit.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Hammond. I'm Rowena and I'm here for my uhhhhh... interview?" She said nervously.

"Yes. Christie - the woman who showed you in has briefed me about you. She's my personal assistant. So, Ms. Hart, tell me about yourself," I said lightly. My eyes were locked on hers - that... until she shifted uncomfortably in her seat and looked down on her fiddled hands.  I could tell that she was nervous, not many people could meet the Alexander Hammond after all.

"Ms. Hart, why don't we grab some lunch and continue our interview there? I haven't had my lunch yet and I do realize that this office can be very intimidating. What do you say?"