Chapter 38 - Introduction to the Akatsuki

(With Naruto.....)

Naruto sat on his bed, meditating and enjoying the quietness of the room. Jiraiya had been out for almost three hours now and still hadn't returned. In his absence, the young Uzumaki was left to his own devices, entertaining himself with writing, reading, and going over some documents he had brought along with him to look over and sign. He had also made extra clones to scout the city under disguise. Only one of them had dispelled within the time period and that was just to tell him of Jiraiya's whereabouts. He wasn't surprised to see that he was at the heart of the city with that suspicious woman. It seemed that his infatuation with the fairer sex was going to be his downfall.

As he continued to mediate and practice expanding his sensing range, he suddenly frowned at the two rather large chakra signatures that seemed to be approaching his location. One of them, he was barely managed to pick up as it was distorted and was one he hadn't felt in years. The other was simply unfamiliar to him. A clone appeared beside him, waiting for instructions.

"I need an eye in the sky." Naruto said.

The clone nodded as it's eyes began to morph into a pair of sharingan. He transformed into a bird and flew out the window that Naruto had opened earlier. Once the bird left, Naruto got off the bed and went to close the window. 'They're here.' he thought, narrowing his eyes as he turned to look at the door. A second later, two firm knocks resounded through the room followed by five knocks a moment later.

Schooling his feature's, Naruto began to casually make his way toward the door. "What's up? Has she already dumped you?" he said to only receive another set of knocks in response.

"Okay, okay!" he yelled as he walked up to the door. "I'll open up!"

Naruto grabbed the handle and turned the lock on the door before pulling it open. When he looked up, he was met with a pair of sharigan looking down upon him. Black bangs framed the person's face and his black cloak covered the lower half of his face, below the nose. Naruto's eyes traveled to the slashed Konoha hitai-ate on his head and his cloak was decorated with red clouds. He inwardly narrowed his eyes at the missing nin. 'Uchiha Itachi.....' he thought as he continued to look at the man that reminded him a good deal of his teammate.

Itachi continued to stare down at the jinchuriki as he looked up at him with nervousness and a hint of fear

Itachi continued to stare down at the jinchuriki as he looked up at him with nervousness and a hint of fear. It had been a while since he'd seen those bright cerulean eyes that seemed to have an icy tint to them now. The last time he had seen him was seven years ago when he was assigned to guard the boy while he was still in the ANBU Corps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback......

(Five years after the Kyuubi attack....)

Naruto stared at clear skies idly as he laid in a clearing he had come across in the forests. It was early spring and the flora and fauna were becoming livelier now, stepping out of their homes and spreading their petals to embrace the sunny warmth that the season brought with it. The sounds of rushing water indicated the presence of a small stream nearby.