Chapter Ten.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[Upsetting Content]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

"Good morning, dear!" James said coming into my room. But little did he know that I was already up and about.

"Good morning, James," I said with a big smile.

He stopped before pulling open the curtains. "Oh! Hello! I have to admit that I wasn't expecting you to be awake," he said.

"What's our plan for today?" I asked.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Oh I'm fine. Just... want to start. I've got a bit of cabin fever," I said.

"Oh. That makes sense," he said and led me down the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~Yesterday (Breanna)~~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking back from hanging out with the girls when I saw her. The Countess. Elizabeth Johnson. The lady who turned me over to James when I first came here. She was walking down the hallway, her eyes like daggers. I fumbled with my keys and tried to get into my room quickly.

"What's the rush, darling?" She asked, resting her long knife- like fingers on my door.

"I've just had a long day and I'm tired," I explained quickly, giving her a smile.

"You want to know something?" She asked, changing the subject. I nodded hesitantly. "You're so beautiful. And so, so young," She said, pushing hair behind my ear. "So why stay here? In this old hotel? I'm sure that your potential is much greater than that," She said.

"Well I'm sure you know that James March is choosing me for his newest project, whatever it may be-" I began.

"Why would you stay here for him? ," She said, smiling.

"I... He'll probably kill me," I explained. For some reason, my eyes filled with water and my lips trembled.

"I'll make sure that he doesn't. So why don't you leave tonight?" She paused. "But you don't want to, do you?" She asked.

"Well I- I don't have anywhere else to go," I said.

"You have your college dorm. Why don't you go there?" She asked.

"I... I-" I began. I don't know what was happening or what she was doing.

"You love him, don't you?" She asked.

Now I knew what this was all about. "Of course not," I said.

"Even if you do, it will never happen. He's far too smitten with me to fuck anyone else," she said. She smiled.

"I'll let you do your little project with James, but nothing more," She said and walked away.

I watched her walk down the hallway gracefully.

She's right. James will never love me when he can have her. But what does that matter? I don't love him.

Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Today (Breanna)~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've got a lovely surprise for you! Come this way," he said, linking arms with me.

He led me down several long hallways until we finally got to the basement. He came to a stop at a door.

"I've decided that the best thing for you right now is to not have any distracting or... unhealthy relationships in your life. So, I brought your little friend here," he said opening the door.

What I saw shocked the hell out of me. My best friend Colleen was tied to a chair. She had tape over her mouth. When she saw me, she screamed in excitement.

I laughed and looked to James. "James, there has been a mistake. Colleen and I don't have any problems with each other. She's like a sister to me-" I began.

"That's not what she told me," he said with a sinister grin. He ripped the tape off her mouth and she gasped in agony. "Go on, Ms. Colleen. Tell her what you told me," he said.

"I- I- I can't!" She exclaimed, sobbing. My demeanor changed. Confusion and anger filled my veins.

"Do it," James demanded.

Colleen looked at me with fearful eyes.

"What did you do?" I asked, my eyes like waterfalls.

"I'm- I'm so ashamed, Breanna. I have never, ever felt more sick. I hate myself-" she began.

"Stop with the bullshit and tell me," I demanded.

"Fine. You know how my family is poor. Very, very poor. And your family is very rich... and I've always been jealous. And on the night your family was... killed, I had left that party earlier than you did. We had gotten into a fight that night and I wasn't in the right state of mind. I was walking by your house and I saw that guy climbing in through one of the windows. I called out to him, and he stopped dead in his tracks. I told him that I wouldn't call the police, if he let me in as well-"

"What the fuck!" I yelled, hiding my face in my hands. James touched my shoulder.

"I know, I know. It's absolutely vile. But she's not done yet. And we've got to hear it," he cooed. I turned my head towards Colleen.

"He- He told me that he was just going to steal your T.V and some jewelry, so I went inside with him. He was doing what he promised, and I snuck off to your bedroom. I pocketed your golden ring your grandmother gave you and took some of your diamond earrings. As I was getting ready to leave, I heard your dad yelling out to the man. And then gunshots. I walked out to see your dad dead. And I froze in shock when I saw your mom come out and he shot her too. After that, I ran to your window and jumped out. I ran home and... I... slept," she said. She looked up at me tearfully and waited for my response.

"How could you?!" I screamed, slapping her across the face. She whimpered. "We gave you a home. When your junkie parents kicked you out for weeks, we took you in! We gave you everything! And who went to every single one of your stupid softball games and recitals? My family! Who took you out for ice cream every single time you lost a game? My family! Who went to throw eggs at your first ex boyfriend's house because you hated him? My family! Who payed for your college tuition because God knows how fucking useless your family is! My family!" I said. I absentmindedly took a knife from James' hand. "You know why? Cause they were good fucking people! They did all of these great things for you, and you just watched them die? Without even calling the fucking cops because you were scared that your ass would be thrown in jail? YOU SELFISH BITCH!" I screamed before stabbing her with a knife that I didn't know I had in my hand. The knife stuck out of her stomach. I took it out and stabbed her again. And then one more time. The third time, I left it there.

I was taken aback. She looked up at me. "Fuck. I'm gonna die," she groaned.

"You deserve it," I said. I turned to James.

"Maybe you're right. Maybe there are people who deserve to die," I said. I turned back around and took the knife out of her stomach. I dropped it on the floor and walked out of the basement.