Chapter 2 - I Owe Her

Smoke... Noise... Dirt... Pollution... Heavy traffic!

These are what made Kelly's ride really enjoyable. Almost as enjoyable as riding the back of a shark that might take a bite out of you any time.

She crinkled her nose and coughed when she inhaled a great amount of smoke from the vehicle beside theirs. Then she suddenly realized she forgot she hasn't paid for the fare yet.

Kelly rummaged through her backpack and searched for her wallet.

Oh my freaking—!

She almost swore.

What the—?

Her eyes widened in realization that she hasn't got enough money to pay the fare.

I have got to withdraw. Why hadn't I thought of that?

She hasn't had the need to use money before so she wasn't really giving her budget much attention to; which she now realized was very negligent and careless of her.

She couldn't not pay but what could she do?

She took her chance and relayed what was left of her allowance.

Leave it to Batman.

The others relayed to the driver what she gave but were looking at her all the while possibly wondering what could be wrong with her.

And then, finally, moment of truth...

"What's this? Are you kidding me?" Kelly heard the driver say.

"Who paid this? What nonsense is this? Don't you have a smaller bill? I don't have enough for change," he added sarcastically.

Damn!

She closed her eyes and was squirming inside with embarrassment hoping she could disapparate from here and apparate somewhere else.

Harry Potter, help me! She thought desperately.

Why does she have to be very unlucky today?

There was nothing left inside her wallet but the five peso coin she just paid.

What was she supposed to do?

Ugh! Best day of my life. Yay!

And then the gossiping girl suddenly spoke, "Really?"

"Five pesos won't take you where you wanted to go. It's just not enough, you know."

Kelly thought she was really in no mood to banter and, whether she'd like to admit it or not, she doesn't really have the right to do so.

Kelly piped, "Sir, I'm really, really sorry but I lost my wallet. That's all I've got. I'm really sorry."

Everyone was now looking at her.

"Ugh!" The girl didn't seem to want to let her go off easily and said, "Typical country girl issue. Why don't you just stay in your provinces?"

Kelly's patience with the girl was starting to waver.

If she could only just hit her!

Kelly wanted to show the girl and make her taste what Agent Esguerra can do.

Then, she did not expect at all what happened next.

The girl pulled her purse and grabbed some coins.

"It's on me. I'll pay for her. Here..." And she passed it on. "Thanks."

And she turned to look at Kelly once more.

"You're welcome."

She started to look away but snapped back again too fast Kelly swore she might have cracked her neck.

"You didn't say thank you but you're still welcome. And... well, it's not yet too late to say it."

She smiled and added, "Only if you feel like it."

"Uh..." Shocked, Kelly didn't know what to say.

She seemed nice, after all. Just... well – Kelly thought – if she's a bit judging that wouldn't really be too bad of her, of course, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

"Thanks," Kelly finally said.

The girl smiled again and looked away.

And Kelly managed to smile too.