Chapter 3.1 - Looking for a Light: Part 1

Me and my family found a shelter not far from the place where we scavenge for. It was a house with a barn and a big garden at boot.

My father first came to the door as he insured our safety, then knocks it slowly for he didn't want hostiles to attack to us.

"Hello?" Said my dad cautiously.

Nothing but a whisper of a wind can we hear at that house.

As my dad went on through the second floor, my mom put all of our supplies to the side and hid it with a large cloth from the house.

I parked the car into the barn then placed all of the oil we gathered, but then I've noticed. There's a diesel generator that would give us electricity on that house. I was surprised that this thing survived after the apocalypse, though this generator is pretty much worn out. So I took a checking on it if it works.

As I was doing my own business here, I heard footsteps coming at my back. The air feels heavy as I slowly tried turning backwards. I wanted to see who, but I have second thoughts if that person is hostile. My palms are sweaty, my body's shivers, my mind went blank.

I was scared.

I'm scared of dying, even if I can get sa second life. I don't want to die, but I must confirm it. But then-

"Why are you here, mister"

I heard a voice of a girl, like a elementary schooler who comes home then found a person unknown to them.

When I suddenly turn my back, It's just like what I visioned on my mind.

"H-Hello there." I said politely so that I wouldn't provoke this child. "Where are your family, little girl?"

...

Silence.

But she then cried like it's the end of the world, bringing her knees to the ground. I feel bad to her, not because her family might be gone, it's...

No one can take care of her.

Anyone is doing what they can to survive, and joining her on our family can bring out problems which we couldn't solve. Our supplies are enough to sustain us for months, so in order to let her come with us, we need to gather more.

I tried imagining scenarios that may benefit bought my family and this little kid, but she interrupted me by saying:

"You don't have to think for me mister. I don't have a purpose in this world anyway."

I was shunned at her words, like a spike stabbing my heart filled with guiltiness. I lost breath for a second, as the wind of a decaying air move pass between both of us.