I Am Your Morning Cup of Coffee

"Hi."

"You're back...and you brought a friend?" Ethan noted, arching his eyebrows.

"This is Carlos and we, actually, wanted to talk to you about something." I explained, a bit nervous.

"This have to do with Lindsay still cause I'm honestly done with her..." He responded, going to put his ear buds back in.

"Wait. Please, hear us out." I stopped him, frowning. This was definitely gonna be hard.

"Ok. But please make this quick. I'm trying to study for a test." He told us, rolling his eyes.

"Ok, uh...Carlos, do you mind taking over?" I stammered, playing with my hair.

"Wha-Uh...Ok." He said. "We were wondering if you wanted to join us for lunch Monday, Ethan."

"Why?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"We just thought maybe you could use a nice lunch with some new people...We're a great bunch." Carlos partially lied, as I subtly eyed him. He was supposed to be letting Ethan in on the plan, not tricking him to join.

"Would Lindsay be there too?" He questioned, glaring.

"Maybe...I don't know. She's only sat with us one day and since then she's still been sitting with her friends. So, most likely no." Carlos explained, while I rolled my eyes. He knew full well Ricky had told me earlier that she would be joining us at lunch Monday. This was not a part of the plan.

"I-I'll think about it...I do have friends, by the way. You don't need to take pity on me like I'm some little kid with abandonment issues." Ethan replied, then put in his ear buds. Carlos went to speak, but we both knew that was the end of that conversation. Gesturing for Carlos to follow, I headed back to the cafeteria.

"Hey, Neens."

"Hey. I'm so tired...I've had a long week." I confessed, getting in the car.

"Maybe we could go get some coffee later, then?" He suggested, starting up the car.

"You paying?" I asked, plugging in the aux cord.

"Why do I always somehow end up paying?" He replied, furrowing his brows.

"Cause you come up with the ideas. If you suggest something, you gotta pay. Plus, it's called being a gentleman." I told him, rolling my eyes and putting on my music.

"No. It's called soon I'm gonna be broke." He countered, chuckling.

"Get a job then, mister. If you want to have something with Lindsay, you'll have to make some sacrifices." I said, the words feeling so unnatural on my tongue. The idea of giving him relationship advice for a relationship that could sink at any moment hurt me. I just imagined him getting a job and using his salary to buy her a bunch of expensive shit, then getting left to the side after awhile.

"Nini, you good?"

"Mhm." I lied, shaking away my thoughts and instead focusing on the music. He was a bit too preoccupied with driving, so he seemed fine with that answer.

"I gotta know
Does it mean, does it mean anything
Does it show
Every minute you're all that I think
About so
Do you think, do you think, do you think

About me, me, me, me, me, me, me
About me, me, me, me, me, me, me..."

Messages

Me: we still going for coffee or...?