Chapter 37: The Reunion

I made it to the shore just as another bomb ripped apart the city, the infamous clock tower crumbling to the ground. Flames rose in the streets, and citizens were running in panic and some were screaming in pain. I was sopping wet and badly injured, but I was determined to get to Jeremiah. The fear of losing Gotham, my friends, and most importantly him was enough to keep me going. I moved swiftly through the streets, wracking my brain to figure out where Jeremiah could be. If he wanted to die he would be with the core relay, the heart of the explosions that would tear the city apart.

"Jeremiah!" I yelled into the chaotic streets to no avail.

The situation seemed impossible, I didn't know where to go or how to save Jeremiah. I turned the alley that was a shortcut to the Gotham City Hall, praying that Jeremiah had chosen it as the location for the core relay. Suddenly, someone grabbed my arm and I instinctively swung at them as I was still used to be attacked.

"Harls it's me!" Ivy said, blocking my attack.

I breathed a heavy sigh of relief and embraced my friend whom I had been barred from for so long.

"Ivy..." I choked back a sob as I soaked in the comfort of being held by someone I care for.

"Harley, what happened to you?" She asked, sadness in her voice as she assessed my battered state.

I shook my head.

"It doesn't matter, what matters now is that Jeremiah believes I am dead. That is why he wants to destroy Gotham." I quickly explained and she nodded as she tried taking in all the information I was throwing at her.

"Okay... That makes more sense. I knew there was no way you would let him go through with this. How are you going to stop him?" She asked.

I looked at the surrounding buildings, desperately trying to get inside Jeremiah's head.

"I need to find him. But I can't do it alone, he's likely to be heavily armed and he will think that anyone claiming I am alive is an attempt to trick him." I strategized as Ivy quickly pulled out her phone and dialed up Selena.

"How soon can you get here?... Perfect." She hung up and smiled at me.

"We've got your back, Harley." She confirmed and I couldn't help but feel so thankful that I had such amazing friends.

I began pacing as I concentrated on figuring out Jeremiah's location, but my ankle gave way after all the strain I had put on it and I fell to the ground with a cry. Ivy was quickly at my side, once again looking over my injuries.

"How am I supposed to get to him like this?" I asked incredulously, frustration overtaking me.

"Here." Ivy soothed as she made a series of movements with her hands and a flower sprouted in the cracks of the concrete beneath us.

She picked the flower and offered it to me. I took it, seeing a nectar-like fluid inside the plant.

"Drink it and you will be temporarily healed. It should give you the strength to find Jeremiah." She urged and I quickly downed the concoction.

A warming sensation took over my body and it felt as if my pain receptors were momentarily disabled and my muscles were given an extra boost of energy. I carefully stood back up, amazed that I did not wince once as I found my balance. I felt momentarily renewed. Then a figure ran towards us, it was Selena. She almost tackled me with a hug, and I knew that if I had not taken Ivy's medicine my broken ribs would have greatly disagreed with her actions.

"I've missed you..." She greeted me and I returned her embrace.

"I've missed you both. It has been so hard not being able to see you guys... But we can't waste any more time, I need to find Jeremiah!" I explained quickly and they both understood.