Chapter 16

The evening was rich--filled with chatter about life events and laughter. I decided to retire early, giving Xavier and Alessia time to visit with their parents, well, their mom and her boyfriend.

Xavier led me to their finished basement where they have a queen-sized bed and a fifty inch flat screen TV. The room is huge, set up with its own bathroom and sitting area. I can tell the house is old by the way the floor constantly creaks when you walk and the dated furniture. It's a nice change from all the modern amenities I see back at home.

I drop my suitcase down on the floor beside the large bed. It's beautifully decorated with a white comforter and red wine pillows. The soft yellow lighting gives the room a very cozy vibe. I plop down onto the bed, slowly sinking into the memory foam mattress. Flopping backwards, I stare up at the ceiling and become instantly entranced by the nonsense pattern.

Looking up at the ceiling, I noticed the swirls, and how they almost looked like stars. I also noticed how the lines ebb and flow of their direction. It was the first time in a long time, I felt at peace.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock. I sat up from my bed, knitting my eyebrows in confusion because my door was open. The knocking came again--my attention at my bedroom window. 

I walked over and saw Jordan, hanging from our gutter pipe. I opened the window, feeling very angry towards her. "It's about time," She grumbled as she pulled herself up and into our bedroom.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked angrily.

"Um, sneaking in so mom doesn't find out I was gone?" She answered in a "duh" tone.

"No J, that's not what I'm talking about," I sighed.

"What are you talking about then?" She asked as she raised an eyebrow at me.

Mom made the same face when she was mad. She was challenging me, she always challenged me.

"You were supposed to meet me at McKenna's, remember? So mom and dad would think you were at prom? Not disappearing with Christopher," I huffed in an irritated voice.

Of course she never showed, I covered for her, again. I don't know why, she didn't even hold up her end of our deal.

"Will you shush before they hear you?!" Jordan whisper-yelled.

Ever get tired of someone's empty promises? They keep telling you that things will change, that they will change, but they never do. I've finally reached my end with my sister. Now I know that no matter how many times I try to help her, she's never going to change.

"No Jordan, I'm done," I told her as bluntly as possible.

I thought she'd understand, but she started laughing instead. "That's a good one Julia, you really had me going there for a minute."

I folded my arms over my chest. "I'm serious Jordan, I'm done. I keep covering for you because I thought this was just a phase, but I've finally realized that you're never going to change."

Jordan narrowed her green eyes at me, realizing just how serious I am. "What do you mean, 'this was only a phase'?"

"Exactly what I meant, all of this." I gestured to her black hair and clothes. Her makeup from last night is gone, her hair is a tangled mess. The dark circles under her eyes tell me she didn't sleep. 

"What's the matter Julia? Don't like my new look?" She asked in an offended tone.

"Quite frankly, no, I don't. You've changed Jordan."