chapter two

For the first few months, this is how it goes.

After the massacre of the wives and concubines of the emperor (the deed made by the man himself), he had left his only child in the Ruby Palace to be raised by the terrified servants. The servants were mostly terrified, the memory of their emperor killing his women, the women they had once served, without mercy had not once left their minds. This beautiful grand palace that once was filled with beauties of all sorts, was empty saved for them, the princess, and the haunting memory of blood being splattered and screams echoing throughout the night.

Sometimes, they could hear one of their late mistresses sobbing and pleading in one of the rooms.

It was definitely hard for them to resume their work, and their lives after that. After all, the servants of the Imperial Palaces were often from noble families who had made a vow to serve the royal family with their whole lives, and cutting themselves off their noble heritage. But they did resume to continue their work, their life in the lifeless Ruby Palace, trying hard to forget what it had once had.

They tried to focus on their work.

They focused on the abandoned princess, the only child of their emperor, who had been left to be raised by them servants, who were servants in the Ruby Palace.

It was not said, but the message was clear.

The emperor did not hold the princess in any favorable light.

Even if he had left her alive, spared her from a fate of being one of the many corpses that night, and let her treasonous existence be while bearing a name that should have forfeited her life the instance she took a breath...

Princess Athanasia was a princess their emperor had spared from death, but definitely did not acknowledged.

Her mother, a mere lowborn filth from a land of crude barbarians, had dared to name her daughter an emperor's name. Outrageous wench. If she had not died from giving birth, she would have been viciously killed by their emperor and she would have deserved it.

Alas, fate was not fair, and she died and was saved from justice.

What was left of her was her child, this strange baby bearing an emperor's name.

Their emperor was merciful, to not blame the child for her mother's sins, but he certainly did not acknowledge her.

Lilian York could protest and scream at them a million times, it still does not change the fact that Princess Athanasia was no princess.

She was not their princess to serve.

She was not a princess of the Obelian Empire at all.

This little baby might have an emperor's name, the royal blood, and the beautiful jeweled blue eyes of the toyal family, but she was no princess in their eyes if even the emperor did not acknowledge her as his.

Why else would she still be in the Ruby Palace, left to be raised by lowborn nobles who were sold by their families to clear their debts?

A child off their great emperor, in a Ruby Palace? A palace that was meant for women of the emperor's harem? It was inappropriate. Princesses of the Obelian Empire were to live in the elegant Emerald Palace, fit and tailouted to a royal princess wants and needs. A princess being raised in the grand Ruby Palace filled with treasures and of great wealth was inappropriate.

She also had no royal wet nurse that was assigned to her, and was left to drink from a goat's milk.

Not even the lowest of the noble houses were fed with a goat's milk.