chapter four

☆ ☆ ☆

F O U R

☆ ☆ ☆

Another few years had passed and Athanasia was about to turn five in just a few weeks time. The Ruby Palace, once a grand palace of wealth and luxury, was now becoming rather dull and ugly with the servants slacking off, and stealing everything with wealth. Not that she could complain, really, as Athanasia was also taking a few things for herself that she could sell for the future.

The memory of kneeling on that floor, her world shattering and falling to the depths of despair, and then the world being dyed red while a hand went through her chest, and soaking the worn out dress she wore, still haunted her. Those nights were the worst, as other than Lily, the nights she slept through were precious had been ruined by those memories of her being a wretched fool. Terrified and hating herself for it, she couldn't bear to return to sleep after that.

She would endure anything, do everything, just to make sure she wouldn't end up like that again.

Giving up her title, her crown, for life? It was obvious what she would choose. It's not as if she really was a princess of this kingdom, she was more like the unwanted place holder for the real one.

So the decision of leaving this palace, this kingdom and everything with it behind with nothing else but money and Lily, was a decision far too easy to go through — not the process of course. She does have absolutely no idea of what being a commoner is, but it wouldn't be too bad, right? After all, being a peasant traveller sounds far more interesting than staying and get killed once again by her dearest sire.

"Lily?"

Lily stopped humming and looked at her through the mirror, still brushing Athanasia's hair.

"Can you tell me the story of the sorceror of the tower again?" She asked, "please?"

Lily laughed "you really love the story so much, princess. Of course I will."

Lily cleared her throat, and started the tale that Athanasia has heard for at least a hundredth time.

"The Sorceror of the Tower had the strongest power of all sorcerers in existence. The Sorceror of the Tower was so powerful, he could bring an empire to ruins."

What Athanasia wouldn't give to have that kind of power.

"For this very reason, all sorcerers had to freeze their own hearts. Casting away the ability to feel, and cutting off the connection to be feel, the sorcerors have turned their warm, red blood into ice-cold blue not unlike the blood of the Frostgiants from the Far North."

If only she could cut out her own heart and throw it away for making her weak... that and cut off the connection she had with her father and this kingdom with an ease like a scissor to a yarn string.

"Because such power could easily be misused, most likely for trivial things that could cause great disaster if passion overcame reason and emotion overcame rationality. The sorcerors of Obelia swore fealty to the sun and to its people, and so take great lengths to prevent them being harmed by enemies, and themselves. The Sorceror of the Tower was the first one to freeze his own heart, fearing he would lose control of his powers and ruin this kingdom just as he did to the one before Obelia."

Athanasia would give her heart to the people, vulnerable, to be harmed and bleed if it meant ruining this kingdom.

Ah, but fate was cruel and unfair, and she was born with no magical power at all to aid her. Not to protect Lily, or herself from her father, or even against the maids of this palace who belittled her with every breath they took, and beaten her until she could no longer move with every opportunity they could.