Trials of the heart

Shahrzad stood up, brushing off the sand from her trousers, and reached back to secure the hair that had come out of her braid. She looked around to see the large expanse of desert all around her. Where was she? How could she have forgotten her way to the army camp? It wasn't possible.

Shazi looked around and spotted her carpet buried a few feet from her in the sand, the frayed ends peeking from beneath the piles of earth. She pulled it out and gasped in shock at what she saw.

The carpet had a hole in its top corner, the size of her fist. Throught it shazi could see the ground below. How had the carpet ripped? It wasnt the kind of damage that happened due to external force but rather it seemed more like a rat had nibbled onto it for years. But that wasn't possible. Shazi had just got this carpet from Khalid's old mentor in perfect condition.

Racking her brain for some possible explanation, a sudden realization made Shahrzad's heart lurch painfully in her chest. She remembered why she was on her journey here.

Khalid.

Somehow, her worry at the carpet had made her forget why she was here and as soon as she realized it, the worry began to creep in on her. How was Khalid? Was he being attended by someone? How bad was he hurt?

Shazi knew she had to hurry, not only for Khalid but for Khorasan. As their Calipha it was her duty to make sure the people and the army was okay. The kingdom and the camp would be in utter disarray right now hearing of the injury of the Caliph. She had to reach there as soon as possible. But first she had to figure out how she had ended up in this unknown stretch of land and how did the carpet lead her here? Most of all why was the carpet suddenly damaged?

Putting these worries aside Shazi got ready to mount back onto the carpet when a heavy hand clamped over her mouth, blocking the air and the light. Within a few minutes, she felt dizzy as if the ground was swaying beneath her feet.

The last thing Shazi saw was horses a few feet away and the silhouette of a large man, a gold piercing on his nose, bending down to pick her up. Then everything went black.

.............. ................. ...............

Aaaah it feels so good to be back guys. Quarantine has officially become better now that I'm back on wattpad.