Chapter 4 - We Meet

September came to an end as we, drunkard, senior high school students, woke up with hangovers one morning. Carlos rolled off his bed groaning, before falling to the floor; Raph staggered to the bathroom to vomit; Briston sat on his bed, clutching his temples; and I lie, face buried into my pillow as my head throbbed.

My phone rang. I fumbled for my phone before I managed to pick it up. A familiar voice spoke from the other side of the line.

"Are you awake?" Dad asked.

It was his way of saying 'good morning'.

"Apparently. What do you want now?" I replied groggily.

"You're drunk again. You are needed in the office immediately." he said sternly bago patayin ang tawag.

I groaned as I rolled over to my back.

I hate days like this. Why does my Dad have to be a rich business man? Palagi na lang akong nauutusan sa opisina niya kahit na ayokong magtrabaho. Minsan, nagtitimpi na lang ako para di ako makapagsalita ng masama sa kanya pero pakiramdam ko nga'y baka bigla na lang akong sumabog sa inis. It sucks to manage this, manage that, asikaso nito at niyan. So not me.

I hurriedly fixed myself at humarurot papunta sa opisina. Baka mamaya dumami na naman ang sasabihin siya sa'kin.

I pulled the Camaro to a rough stop in front of the towering, thirty-storey building with the silver words Emperor emblazoned on the upper levels of the building. Though I have a reserved parking space, I never bothered to park my car.

I straightened my most formal clothes as I stepped out of the car. Dad's towering, U-shaped skyscraper gleamed gloriously under the morning sky. I guess being rich has some perquisites. The building itself doubles as a five-star hotel and an office. If divided vertically in half, hotel ang kalahati habang for business and office purposes ang kalahati.

I stepped into the building, its staff greeting me with the warmest welcomes as I strode arrogantly into the place. It took a couple of moments via elevator until I reached Dad's office, which was found at the highest level on the building.

After knocking, the door swung open, so I immediately swaggered into the room.

"Sit down." Dad sternly said, his greying hair and beard twitching as he spoke.

"What did I do wrong this time?" I asked.

"You were supposed to be at the meeting yesterday." he said, with a tone of annoyance.

"I was? I seem to have forgotten." I replied nonchalantly.

"Kinakalimutan mo na ang responsibilidad mo bilang isang businessman." he said, tone rising.

"For starters, I'm not a businessman. I didn't want to be and I don't want to." I said, looking at him with annoyance.

"Well, I want to. Whether you like it or not, you will run this business because you will own this building! I am your father and I know that this is best for you." he replied, his voice slightly raised.

I pounded the table.

"I don't care if you want it or not! This is my life. I own my fucking life! I run my fucking life! You say you know what's best for me because kung ano man ang alam mong pinakamabuti para sa akin ay ang gusto mong mangyari!"

"Shut your mouth, young man! I am your father and as your father, I want to support your venture on a successful and secured path. Hindi kita hahayaang maligaw ng landas dahil lang mali ang desisyon mo sa buhay. I have known you for more than a decade and you are the worst person to make choices for yourself!" sumbat niya.