Chapter 9 - Questions

He took me by surprise earlier that day. I was left dumbfounded as the whiff of his perfume and his shoulder length hair left the café.

Hindi ko mawari ang nararamdaman ko. Was it joy? Was it the lingering feeling of being surprised? Hindi ko maintindihan. Nag-iinit ang loob ng dibdib ko. Kahit na hanggang ngayo'y ramdam ko ang kakaibang pagtibok sa aking dibdib.

Hindi ko na lang pinansin, dahil baka dala lang 'yon ng pagkagulat ko.

...

Jamela and I spent the afternoon break at the cafeteria. Bumili kami ng kung anong pwede naming kainin bago magkwentuhan ng kung anu-ano.

"So, kamusta?" tanong niya sa akin, tucking some of her silky, black hair behind her ear.

"Anong kamusta?" kumunot ang noo ko.

Usually, she is up to a no-good topic if she starts with those words.

"You know..." aniya bago tumaas-baba ang mga kilay ng ilang beses.

I squinted at her, still confused as heck. I leaned back against the seat, surrendering to my confusion.

Napahawak si Jamela sa mukha niya. "Hay naku, Francine." aniya habang umiiling.

We walked out of the cafeteria and started for the gymnasium. PE class was right after the break kaya napagdesisyunan na naming dumiretso na sa gym. A few of our classmates were heading there already, apparently.

The gymnasium was spacious. It could probably fit two or three, two-storey houses with some space to space. Tanaw ko sa pinakadulo ng basketball court ang ilang seniors naming lalaking naglalaro. I caught sight of his familiar figure. His messy hair, the way he moves, and simply everything about him.

"Matutunaw 'yan." ani Jamela ng pabiro.

"Che!" I retorted.

"Tara na sa bleachers. Andun na si Ma'am." sabi niya bago ako hilahin.

For some reason, I remained fixated upon him and him only. The warm rush of blood to my cheeks came. The odd warm feeling in my chest invade me. I think my knees would turn to jelly. Everything instantly came to me nang magkita an gaming mga mata. Even though he was at a distance, I could see those dark brown eyes that can warm me up in a snap.

Before I could even react, binatukan na ako ni Jamela.

"Huy! Tinatawag ka ni Ma'am. Sabihin mo 'present'."

"Ha? Ha? Ma'am! Verizondo po, present!" I immediately said.

Napailing na naman si Jamela sa akin.

...

Natapos ang aming grupo sa paglalaro ng volleyball. Apparently, Jamela and I were in the same group kaya sabay din kaming nagpahinga sa bleachers.

"That was one, good game." she said.

I noticed that he wasn't there anymore. Neither was any senior of ours.

"You're looking for him? Lumabas na siya kanina pagkatapos nating maglaro." Jamela said beside me.

Eh? Nanood siya.

I felt both self-conscious and happy. At least I had his attention. At least...

After the classes, Jamela and I decided to hit up a café outside the campus. She said it was a good place kaya hindi na kami nag-atubili pa.

We ordered some cakes and drinks. Apparently, ginutom kami dahil sa P.E. class kahit na nakapagtanghalian naman kami. While we were talking about stuff, I looked up when somebody walked into the door. The familiar messy hair, the posture, that dashing aura. It's him.