Chapter 8 - Vibrant And Vivid

I cannot forget that night. I caught her eyes a few times and my heart began to burn, not painfully, but with flames of joy.

Naalala ko yung unang beses na nakita ko siya. It seemed as though a monochrome world was suddenly doused in different colors. Pero she still stood out, no matter how vibrant the surrounding was.

Some certain somebody once told me: being inlove is the most beautiful thing. The birds chirp music. The leaves become the colors of spring, summer, and autumn. The skies become the bluest you can see. Everything becomes vibrant. Everything becomes music to the eyes and art for the ears.

This may sound cliché, but when I met her, everything that the certain somebody had told me seem to unfold before my eyes. It was like magic.

"Huy!" a hand snapped in front of my eyes.

Napakurap ako.

"Nakatingin ka naman sa akin with that same expression." Francine said.

Napakurap ako ng ilang beses. "Anong expression." tanong ko.

She shrugged. "I don't know how to put it in words. Teka..." her voice trailed off.

As if a lightbulb magically appeared over her head, her expression brightened. "It's like you're zoning out." aniya.

"What?" tanging salitang lumabas sa aking bibig.

"Parang nag-zozone out ka tapos di mo namalayang nakaharap ka pala sa isang tao." Napahawak siya sa baba niya. "Or something like that."

I felt ashamed of myself. "Sorry about that..." I said, looking away, trying to hide the hint of embarrassment on my face.

I felt her hand tap my arm. Napalingon ako sa kanya.

"It's okay." she said before smiling.

Dear God, if You hear me, thank You for all the blessings you have given me. This young woman beside me is the best one You have sent for me. Thank You. I mentally prayed. I felt my heart skip a beat when she smiled.

...

Bang.

I knew it was a gunshot. I whirled around.

My heart sank.

Naramdaman kong nanlamig ang mga kamay ko. I felt them shiver. No, not from the cold but from fear. I felt color drain from my face. I felt all the warmth leave my body. Nanginig ang mga labi ko. I couldn't stop.

The cold, damp air stung my eyes. I felt something warm trickle down my eyes. I don't want to believe. I don't want to.

Despair invaded my heart as my knees turned to jelly. I can no longer stand. Napaluhod ako sa semento, with utmost disbelief.

In front of me was a sight I never expected and I didn't want to see.

Francine's lifeless body.

I can clearly see her face; glassy eyed, pale white, and warmthless. Nanginginig akong lumapit sa kanya, my tears soaking my cheeks. I was silent but screaming deep inside. I could feel everything.

I embraced her with my shivering arms. I could feel her warmth slowly fading. Just then, a maniacal laugh echoed behind me. Grieving became anger. Just as I swung around, I saw my life flash inside the barrel of a pistol.

I opened my eyes. What time is it? I thought. I know I must've passed out. My head still hurts from all the beer I chugged.

I looked around. Nakasandal si Carlos sa couch habang nakaupo sa sahig. Si Raph ay parang bangkay sa sahig. He lay face down. Si Briston naman ay nakaupo parin. All of them were asleep. I felt something trickle down my cheek.