Blur

It was a blur.

Doug was well-trained for emergencies, but this was the first time he'd ever been so truly emotionally invested. Not even the first time Susan had had a blackout had he felt this.

So he had no idea how he'd had the presence of mind to pull boxers on, wrap Lili in the top sheet, throw the blanket over her and even open her communicator and scream for Phlox. He barely remembered picking her up, holding her limp body and running in the hallway to Sick Bay.

He was somehow sitting on one of Phlox's stools, next to some experiment or another, while a bat squealed occasionally in a nearby cage and Phlox was behind a sheet with Lili and all Doug could do was sit there and stare at the floor and repeat to himself, over and over again, "That's never happened before. That's never happened before. That's never happened before." And on and on and on and on, again and again, the same four-word mantra.

Phlox finally came out from behind the sheet. "Doc?" Doug asked weakly, looking up.

"She is stable for the moment. But I will have to perform microsurgery, and I will have to do it soon. All of her inferior and superior vessicles are shredded. There's no other way to describe what I'm seeing. These are, these are the blood vessels in the pelvis, just past the uterus."

"But you can, you can, she's, uh ...?"

"There are no guarantees,” Phlox said, “Her chance of survival is not good. She is in shock."

Doug stared into space, starting the mantra all over again.

Phlox ignored him and opened his communicator. "Phlox to the Captain. Yes, Captain. Major, uh, Lieutenant Commander Hayes is here at Sick Bay. He should be confined to quarters, at the very least."

"What's going on?" Jonathan asked.

"He has critically injured Ensign O'Day. She may not survive. It is, it is my understanding that, if she were not to survive, that you would need to get him to the nearest Starbase to face charges."

"I'm on my way with a security team. Archer out."

Doug kept repeating the mantra.

"Look, Hayes," Phlox said, “I don't give a damn whether it was intended." This got Doug to stop, and he looked up and listened. "And it doesn't matter anyway, not so much, not with second or third degree homicide."

"Homicide?"

"Yes. If she dies, you will be thrown into the Brig and we will detour in order to bring you to justice, Zoph."

"Zoph?"

"Uh, Hayes. Do you – do you know what I found? I mean really, really found?" Phlox's voice was rising and a vein was standing out on his neck.

Doug shook his head silently, feeling sick.

"It's not just the vessicles,” Phlox explained. "There is blood on both sides of her mouth. Her throat is rubbed raw."

"Throat? We didn't, uh, oh, never mind,” Doug interjected.

"Yes, her throat. And I found fluid where it's not supposed to go, farther back in the abdominal cavity than a human woman's body can allow. There's blood on your shorts, there's blood under your fingernails,” Doug looked in both places. It was true. "I don't know what, what you do, although I can guess, how you, you get your pleasure. But you have wrung her out like a rag."

"Doctor ...."

"No. You will listen. Human women aren't shaped that way. Neither are Denobulan women, or Andorian women, or Vulcan women. Klingon women are. You could, you should just take up with a Klingon woman. She would be better shaped to, to accommodate you. This is assuming that you ever get out of custody."