Acknowledgements

Thank you to my instructors and classmates at Naval School Explosive Ordnance Disposal (NAVSCOLEOD) for every test, passed or failed, that made me an EOD tech. It was in the hallowed halls of this elite academy that this oboe player found her passion for science.

Thank you to my fearless diva friend, Skylar Elledge; my favorite co-author, the limitless Lexi Layton; the world's most adorable EMP, Eira Mae Plotkin; and Baby D, who is already changing the world for the better even before she's arrived – you are why I write. You remind me every day why the arts are essential to the growth of wonderful humans.

To my friends Meagan Spiegel, Hailey Mills, Misty and Laura Merideth, Tanya and Becky Layton, Aislinn Recknagle, Laura Plotkin, Danielle DeLoach, and Samantha Elledge, for being great moms and making a difference every day just by being the strong and compassionate women you are.

Finally, thank you to Kadye Bowman and all of the amazing staff at Orange Theory Fitness Camp Bowie... "because science." You've been with me every step of the way, encouraging me to build a stronger base and push through the uncomfortable feeling to get back to being my badass self, able to live life all out. You're absolutely right, Kadye – I never knew all that I would be able to do until I did it.