Chapter 4: Drown

aesthetic by Crasher^

-

"Ouch," Hope said as she rubbed her head

"Ouch," Hope said as she rubbed her head. Atlas leaped to his feet. After his third leap into a concrete elevator, he had grown accustomed to the pain.

"I think I'm going to give myself a concussion," she said as she stood up.

Atlas looked back at his new friend. He found himself scanning her for more injuries. She had a small bruise under the curve of her wrist, which looked jet black compared to her pale skin. He concluded it was from the previous jump.

The pair looked up as the light poured in from the familiar room. Atlas looked out of either side before stepping out.

"I guess nobody has been here," He glanced around the perfectly intact room. "It looks perfect. The bed is made and everything."

Hope walked over to the bed and sat on the cushioned surface. At the same time, Atlas strode around the room to check for any signs that someone had been there prior to their entrance. After finding no evidence, he walked over to Hope and sat on the other side of the bed.

With their backs to each other and feet dangling over the edge, they sat in peaceful silence.

Until Atlas heard a rumble.

He looked over to Hope with an inquisitive eye. She gave him a sheepish smile.

"What?" she shrugged. "I'm hungry."

Atlas had eaten the other half of his protein bar somewhat recently, but he was already starting to get some hunger pangs. Clambering to his feet and walking around to the other side of the bed, he stretched out his hand.

"Come on. This floor doesn't have any food provisions. We will have to continue down."

Hope nodded and used his hand to get to her feet. The duo waltzed over to the mirror and broke its pane once more. This time, however, they didn't need to run and sustain injuries. Instead, they waited patiently outside the doors as the elevator shifted.

Upon opening, the elevator squeaked and revealed the new layout. The sides showcased a floral wallpaper. Hope stepped inside and touched one of the small, dull roses.

"Much better than concrete."

Atlas let out a sound of affirmation and stepped inside with her. He read the small lettering of the new button: '-2.'

Here we go again.

Atlas mashed the button in and stood by for the reopening. He could sense Hope standing behind him. He looked at his watch. It read '3:15'. He couldn't help being amazed at how much time had passed.

The doors opened, and he looked away from his wrist. He was a little perplexed by the room before him. The walls were a maze of spirals. The only colors present were black and white. Atlas felt dizzy looking at it. Hope was the first to step out.