Chapter 12 - Predators

Song: 'Up in Flames' by Ruelle 

''I was only a child and you ruined me'

A loud gasp echos through the quiet night and my blue eyes snap open to a dark room. My heart races in my chest and tears threaten to escape my eyes.

What happened? 

My lungs burn with each forced breath heaving through my chest as if I just ran miles after miles. Tears prick my eyes as panic starts to grip my chest. My body not forgetting what my mind already has and drowning me with so much fear I begin to wish to be unconscious once more to just not feel it.

Scooting back until my back hits the bed post, I can't hold it in any longer. A gut wrenching sob shakes my whole body and I curl my legs to my chest in the corner of the room.

My arms hug myself tighter and something wet against my chest. I look down, unwrapping my arms from around me to see what I'm feeling. My eyes widen at the dark crimson spot around a tear in my violet dress. The substance travelled down the front of my dress and ends right above my hips in a thinning line.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. Hesitantly, I reach up and brush my fingers over the tear in the fabric. When my fingers touch my skin, I feel my skin is blemish free and smooth with no trace of any damage. I pull away to see my fingers covered in a scarlet liquid that shines in the light of the rising sun from the window.

My breath becomes more irregular at the sight of my own blood. My blood must be the trigger for me to remember because flashes of what happened goes through my head and I'm left more confused than ever. Also, more horrified.

Mikael, he killed me.

That can't be right. Mikael may hate me, but he wouldn't kill me. Or try to at least because I'm very much alive with a pounding heart. Mikael wouldn't dare, he is a lot of things but not a murderer especially in front of his own kids. Besides if Esther knew then she would of helped me. Saved me.

The thought hardly registers before the door to the room swings open and reveals the man I question.

Mikael's eyes lock on me and I shudder with more tears streaming down my face. I hate being weak in front of him but I'm far too afraid to act confident and put on a brave face. Sitting on the ground, shaking with tears going down my cheeks and wide eyes filled with terror. It shows how weak Mikael thought me as.

Mikael looks down at me with a new expression, almost looking like pity.

I jump slightly at his heavy sigh that breaks the silence "I fear Ayana may have been right about you. But I will not deny that I had pleasure in killing you. This, this here, shows how pathetic I thought you as. Maybe there is hope in your new life"

He continues by shoving a woman I recognize from the village in front of me with a bloody neck. The pity once in his eyes, gone.

The smell of her blood so strong that it overpowers my senses and makes my throat burn with unstained hunger. Such a divine smell, so sweet and mouthwatering it starts to hurt. Intoxicating and mouth watering, the smell makes my hunger grow and my gums start to burn with my teeth aching. My eyes lock on the women's bloody neck and I catch myself from lunging at her.

I'm sickened by myself at how much the blood looks appetizing to me. At how all my self control flies out the window just by the sight. I slap my hand over my nose to lessen the temptation but all I want is her blood. What happened? Blood never looked so...inviting.

"Drink, girl" Mikael's voice cuts through my deep concentration as a demand.

"I said drink!" Mikael's voice booms loudly causing me to jump like a scared rabbit and let out a fearful whimper. When I don't make a movement toward her Mikael becomes furious.