Extra: I love you too

(A/N: This chapter takes place about ten years after the birth of Kya and Fenrys' son, Connall. Rowaelin has a two year-old son, Daematri and Lorcan and Elide have a nine year old daughter, Veda. Takes place in Terrasen. Kya's POV.)

I washed my hands for what felt like the millionth time before heading to have dinner with my family. I had just finished a surgery on a young man's torn ligament in his knee. Thinking about what I did to him makes my own knee ache.

Luckily, Fenrys picked up Connall today from his lessons, giving me the time to change out of my stinking clothes. Aprons help but they can only do so much. I slipped on a plain lavender dress that fitted loosely. I had abandoned tight dresses.

I practically skipped to the dining hall, missing my mate and son more than normal. My day was long and took too much of my energy. All I wanted was to smother them both in kisses until my son was whining and Fenrys was laughing.

As I approached, a chef nodded to me and held open the double doors. His empty trays told me that he had just set the table. I thanked him with a nod and silently let the doors close as I watched my family.

Connall was so grown it was hard to believe. I still thought of him as my little baby boy that I could wrap in a blanket and cradle, but for a ten year-old he was tall. He was a bit awkwardly lanky, but I knew that within a few years he would fill out and grow even taller. Most days I thought he looked like me, he had my same blue eyes, brown hair, and facial structure. But Connall shared the same unruly curl and golden skin as Fenrys.

My son's beauty scared me sometimes, he already had Lorcan and Elide's daughter wrapped around his little finger. Poor little Veda was wise beyond her years but she couldn't get a word out when Connall was around because of how red her face was. Lorcan hated it and gave Connall, who pretended to be completely oblivious of his charm, a hard time.

"Just eat the broccoli, Connall," Fenrys said with extreme patience. He sat between my empty seat and Connall, who sat slump in his seat pushing his broccoli around. I couldn't see his face but I could imagine his pout. "I don't want to eat it either but we have to."

"Why?" Connall's voice sounded sad. Like eating broccoli was the end of his life.

Across from him, Veda and Elide ate their broccoli without a complaint and watched Connall. Aelin and Rowan were focused on getting Daematri to stop throwing his food at Aedion which would only end in the two year old setting a part of the table on fire. Lorcan's attention shifted between trying to listen to what Lysandra was saying and the powerful King of Terrasen pleading with a baby.

Fenrys' lips puckered as he thought, "because it will make your mom happy. I'll make a deal, little pup, I'll take a bite and then you take one. First to finish gets to eat a slice of chocolate cake in front of the loser."

Connall liked being challenged. Most of the time it was the only way to get him to do something. "Fine, but you go first."

Fenrys turned his fork to the side and devoured half of his portion of broccoli with one bite. Connall tried to mimic his father, which only caused me to smile as I leaned against the wall with my arms crossed.

It would have taken Fenrys two bites to finish his greens, but he let Connall win. "I win," Connall set his fork down like he needed a moment to let the broccoli settle before he could touch the rest of his food.

I was done watching, I surprised Connall as I snuck up and kissed his cheek. He spun around in his seat and looked up at me with his wide blue eyes, "Mom, I ate all of my broccoli."

"I know, I saw." I kissed his other cheek. "I'm proud of you."

"What about me?" Fenrys pulled at my dress like a toddler begging for attention. Through all these years with my mate, he still made my heart slam in my chest as if I were seeing him for the first time. We had our issues, it mostly came from traveling between Adralan and Terrasen, dealing with raising a child together, and our job, but we were good at working together and figuring out a solution.