I

CHAPTER 1

My right leg was bouncing furiously, a nervous habit I picked up when I was a child. My body was filled with anxious energy as I waited to interview for the position of PA for the new CEO of  "Stone Industries Inc.- SII. " James Stone founded his company when he was merely 25 years old, and now he was looking to retire and pass on the responsibilities to his only son.

Around 15 other applicants are sitting on the couch beside me look nervous and ready to run out of here at a moment's notice. I stare at the imposing mahogany double doors behind which one of the world's most powerful men sits.

"Miss Devon, you can go in now," said the kind voice of the receptionist. I give her a polite smile as I walk past her, towards the doors. I knock and wait to be summoned.

" Come in," said the surprisingly kind voice of Mr Stone. I enter and shake his calloused hands and sit down on the chair in front of him. He was holding a stack of papers in his hands, and a bunch of them are in the bin. I see the picture of Milley, an applicant who interviewed before me. I feel a pang of fear shoot down my spine.

" So... Miss Devon, tell me about your professional experience?"

" I have worked in the PR department of " Colours Inc." for about two years; before that, I managed the communications and social media marketing for a small start-up in my home town of Seattle for about a year."

" That's nice, which university did you attend ?"

" I studied at the University of Washington, Seattle. I majored in literature and communications. "

" Why would you be a good fit for this position ?"

" I am generally a very organized person, my earlier employers have called witty and amusing, and I have a knack for handling people dead from the neck up "

" Haha, we sure do deal with a lot of them. Thank you, Miss Devon, this has been fun, expect a call."

" No, thank you, sir ."

I walked out of the doors feeling triumphant and happy. On the way home, I thought of my old job. The pay was half this, and the boss was a pervert who did not know how to respect boundaries. One night I was working late on an assignment, and he approached me from behind and started feeling me up. I have never felt so so violated in my life. I quit immediately and never turned back.

I reach home and call my mom to check up on her and tell her about my day.

" Hey mom, you will not believe where I was today, I just interviewed for a job as the PA for the new CEO of SII "

" Oh my God, Claire, that's amazing I am. so proud of you my darling, you are doing so well for yourself."

" Thanks, mom, but what did the doctor say."

" Oh darling do we have to bring up such a dreary topic "

" Yes, mother, now tell me please."

" He says that I will have to get an angioplasty, and it will cost around 20,000 dollars."

" Ok, mom, the money will be transferred to your account by the end of the month. Bye mom, love you."

My mother was affected by a disease called Coronary Artery Disease; she is suffering for the last four years. I felt guilty for leaving, but she is in the care of my father and 17-year-old brother. I left because money is becoming a problem, and with the PA job, I am hoping that these problems would disappear. It pays around 27,000 dollars a month and came with health benefits; hopefully, tomorrow I receive some good news.

I went to sleep feeling worried yet optimistic about the next day.

**********

Hey guys,

I am a novice writer and I hope you like my first chapter.

Please vote and comment.