Fusion's Complicated

"Can I watch you do it one more time?" Adorabat asked.

"Alright," Garnet replied.

"For your understanding," Pearl said. They stood apart on the sand and did dances in their own style. Eventually, they stood together and Garnet threw Pearl in the air. When she came back down, they made a ball of white light.

Sardonyx stood a million feet taller than Adorabat. "Now incase the time comes, you know how to picture fusion! Is there anyone you considered trying to fuse with?"

"I wanna fuse with Lapis!" Adorabat chirped. Half of Sardonyx's eyes widened.

"Really?" Suddenly, Sardonyx unfused.

"I'm not so sure about that . . . " Pearl worried. "Lapis has done fusion before, but it was a horrible experience for her. It might as well take a thousand years for her to be ready. To fuse again."

"Well," Garnet said, kneeling down to Adorabat, "I think she can do it. All it takes is emotional strength, and lots of persuading." Adorabat blushed and smiled. "Even if Lapis isn't ready today, try again next week. Or whenever it feels like the right time."

"Okay! Thanks Garnet!" Adorabat turned to Pearl. "I'm gonna get Lapis to fuse one day! I don't even care if I don't get to fuse with her! I just want her to feel comfortable fusing." Pearl smiled at her words.

"You're right. Best of luck Adorabat."

"Yup!" Adorabat flew up. She flew towards the direction of the barn.

* * *

Adorabat flew into the barn to see Peridot and Lapis watching Camp Pining Hearts. Pumpkin was in Lapis's lap. "Hey guys!" Peridot turned from the TV to look at Adorabat in the entrance of the barn.

"Welcome Adorabat!" Peridot exclaimed as she waved. "Would you like to watch Camp Pining Hearts with us? It's an old episode, but it's one of our favorites." Adorabat shook her head.

"No thanks . . . I wanted to talk with Lapis for awhile. Alone." Then Lapis turned to Adorabat. Pumpkin barked in joy, realizing that Adorabat came. He zoomed to her and pounced on her chest, licking her cheek. Adorabat laughed loudly. "I-I'm glad to see you too Pumpkin!"

"Pumpkin," Lapis chuckled as she stood up, "Get off of Adorabat, please." Pumpkin moved off her and went back to the small TV, nuzzling Peridot's side. Lapis approached Adorabat, a grin on her face. "Let's go outside." They headed outside and went near the pumpkin patch. "So, what's up?"

A bead of sweat appeared on Adorabat's forehead. She knew Lapis from Steven telling her about the whole Jasper thing, so she was kind of scared to what Lapis would say. 'Cause she also knew that Lapis could be a bit mean sometimes. Though "a bit mean" was an understatement.

The first time the bat talked to her, Lapis backed up as she was making sure the bat wasn't trouble. She was like that with every person—and gem—she met.

Adorabat kicked her peg leg against the ground back and forth as she looked down. "I-I uh . . . wanted to know if you . . . . " She trailed off, getting more anxious. Lapis raised an eyebrow.

"If I what?" Lapis urged, cocking her head.

"I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WANTED TO FUSE WITH ME!" Adorabat blurted as she jerked her head back up. She just wanted to say it, and get it over with. Lapis's eyes widened and her hands curled into fists.

"You wanted to . . . fuse? With me?" Adorabat hummed yes. Lapis's rage started to build up. From remembering the gem she was forced to fuse with. To keep in the ocean for ages. Adorabat backed up a bit and looked down again.