Chapter One

Zoe turned in the bed. She had gotten to know every crease and dent in this mattress, even though it wasn't hers. In fact, a Zoe-shaped dip had formed on the left side in the last two weeks. She didn't mind it - she preferred being here to listening to Frank snore through the walls at home. A certain horsey smell mixed with Lynx lingered in the air as the birds chirped outside the window. A typical morning these days.

          A harsh vibration noise sounded through the room causing her to jolt awake. The golden sun peeking through the curtains made Zoe squint her eyes as she blindly felt around for her phone on the bedside table. Where was it? Her fingers slid over a scratchy felt material - her riding hat - which she swept aside to reveal her mobile underneath. Foggy memories of riding through the woods late last night came and went from her mind, never staying for more than a second. It was too early to try hanging on to them. She clicked the alarm off.

          When her eyes adjusted, Zoe glanced around the room from her fetal position. It was messy - as always - with jodhpurs and flannels strewn around the room, rosettes and postcards lining the walls. Staying at Pin's had become something of a routine in the last while, with Tedward gone to the mainland to see a friend for his annual two-week holiday. It was June afterall, and she could feel the heat rising from underneath the duvet that was way too cosy to even consider leaving. That wasn't because of the weather, though. Pin was a warm person.

          He lay with his back to her. Bare, partly because Pin always slept shirtless, and partly because of the night before. Zoe lay there thinking of what Maggie would say if she knew, but her cover of staying at Jade's was very convincing. Two weeks on and Maggie still hadn't questioned it. Pin's breathing was soft and quiet as a smile grew on her face. No matter how many nights she spent with Pin, Zoe would never get used to the joy of watching him sleep. It fascinated her, and she didn't know why. Maybe because he was always busy doing jobs on the yard or running around after sick ponies, but seeing him lie still mesmerized her in a way she couldn't describe.

          Despite her unwillingness, Zoe carefully rolled on to her side and sat up, mindful that Pin was getting his first decent sleep in weeks. It seemed like sick ponies fell from the sky these days. He was awake at all hours of the day and night, nursing horses from the wild herd. As much as she admired his passion, she wished Pin would take it easy on himself. A warm hand wrapped itself around her forearm.

          'Hey, where are you going?'

His voice was tired and scratchy, like he hadn't spoken in months. That's when she knew Pin was really tired. Zoe turned around, and grinned.

          'I'm going to the stables, Cheekbones.'

          'No you're not,' he said. Pin reached out with his other arm and hauled her back into bed. Zoe let out a laugh and didn't even try to resist. This was her favourite part of the day. It wasn't unusual for Pin to argue her going to the stables early and persuade her to spend an extra twenty minutes with him. Every morning she felt like she was betraying Raven by spending even more time with her head nestled between Pin's shoulder and his neck, but she tried not to feel guilty. Raven would understand.

          'Pin I have to go,' she countered, subconsciously wrapping her arms and legs around his slim frame. He got what he wanted and he knew it. Pin scoffed.

          'You'd rather be with the horses than with your boyfriend?'

          'I'm going on a hack with Becky and Jade.'

          'So you'd rather be with Becky and Jade?'

          'Pinnnnn,' Zoe groaned with a laugh. He always knew how to wind her up. His skin was soft and warm against hers. It reminded her of the countless nights they spent in this room, unbeknownst to anyone on the island. Everyone at Bright Fields knew they were a thing, but to them their relationship only existed in the yard, and Zoe wanted to keep it that way.