6 | Being Left Behind

He raised his head and through bleary eyes, he saw her figure growing smaller. Moments before he had wanted to chase after her and convince her to let him go as well, but was that the right course of action? After all, it wasn't just him he had to think about, there was also the lives of the vampires back at the hideout. And the matter of Sehyoon being held hostage was a major issue that couldn't be left unsolved.

Enduring the twisting feeling in his chest, Jun turned away from the direction where his beloved had disappeared.

"Is everything alright?" Donghun clumsily sat up from where he had been lying. Blood soaked the bandages that covered his eyes, and other wounds coated any exposed skin.

Junhee frowned at the sight and the sound of teeth cracking could be heard as he clenched his jaw.

Controlling his emotions Junhee helped his longtime friend into a more comfortable sitting position and he replied, "everything's fine, worry about yourself right now. Stay here and rest for now, and I'll think of a way to sort things out."

"I can help." Donghun felt uncomfortable with being the only one not helping: he didn't consider that losing his sight temporarily was a hindrance right now. Being the leader's right-hand man was something he had been for centuries, so having to suddenly stay put and out of sight was a strange feeling - one he wasn't used to.

"No! This isn't a request but a demand from your leader." Junhee's tone became harsh, even though that wasn't what he intended. "I and Byeongkwan will find a way to get Sehyoon back. Chan..."

"Yes!" Chan piped up from where he had been standing in the doorway.

Junhee laughed helplessly and said, "you'll stay here and take care of Donghun. Right now his sight is impaired and there's no telling when it will return. Plus I need someone to watch the fortress while I'm away."

Placing a hand on the younger male's shoulders, Junhee smiled encouragingly at him and added, "I'm counting on you, Chan. Don't let me down."

Chan stood up straighter and beamed up at his leader. "I'll do my best." He cheerily skipped over to Donghun's side and checked to see if he needed any help with anything before turning back to Junhee. "Don't worry about things here and quickly go. Who knows what's happening to Sehyoon right now."

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Droplets of water formed on the pointy edges of the stalactites that adorned the cave's ceiling. A chilly breeze swept in from the entrance that led to the outside world and burrowed beneath the skin of the shirtless man hanging from chains on the rocky wall.

Cuffs made of silver clasped tightly around thinning wrists, and blood ran like tiny rivers from wounds beneath the metal. A deep cavern had formed between his brows, and a pained grimace painted his lips, that were red raw from how many times he had chewed on them.

Although a vampire couldn't die they could still feel pain, and the deep pit that used to be his stomach was the most painful of all. How long had it been since he had fed? The thought of not having tasted blood in a long while made the hunger worse, and he would give anything to be able to have even one drop. Delirium was slowly taking over, and soon staying awake would be hard to do.

Suddenly, light footsteps appeared in the quiet cavern and Sehyoon attempted to raise his head to catch a glimpse of the person coming towards him.

"You ready?" Junhee straightened out his jacket and secured his bag on his back. Byeongkwan nodded in response, and after saying farewell to his comrades being left behind, he hurried after the leader.

One way or another they were going to rescue their friend and return to their home: the one place they all belong.