t h i r t y - f o u r

When we got back to Windsor's, the sky was dark and the night brought the cold in with it. We'd decided I couldn't go back to my room, which was exactly where the Frights would look when they realised I was gone, so Oliver had fastened a makeshift bed on the floor of his room.

"Why can't I just go with you to your room?" I muttered to Effie, turning away from Oliver.

"Because I've got a dorm mate, and I don't think she'd like to wake up to a boy sleeping on our floor." She didn't bother with being quiet. "Oliver can actually afford a dorm to himself – might as well make the most of it."

"This is not making the most of it. This is the opposite. This is doing the exact thing I was trying to avoid." Oliver said from where he'd laid out an extra blanket on the floorboards.

"And yet you're here, making my bed for me." I retorted.

He kicked up the blanket and fell back onto his bed like an angry child. "Do it yourself."

I peered down the hall, stared at the light slipping in through the stained windows, and leaned back against the door frame. Effie placed a light hand over my shoulder before offering a tight smile and walking away. I turned my head to leer at Oliver.

I was planning on slipping into the night to go find Leo and get out of here. I didn't know where I planned on going, but it had to be better than here – where I barely had any choice.

There was only one person I was hesitant about leaving: Effie. But seeing all the different clockwork animals laid out across Oliver's room was enough to tell me she wouldn't agree on coming with us, especially not with Leo. I would help her someday, but not now. I couldn't risk it.

Oliver pointed towards the closet. "There's a few more blankets in there."

I stood still for a moment, wringing my hands. I would be out of here as soon as I could – I just didn't know how long I could last.

After spreading out a few more blankets and cursing at Oliver a few more times, I went into the bathroom. There was more colour in my cheeks now, a dusting of pink ran across my cheekbones and nose. After leaving the cave, my mind felt more exposed, as if it'd stripped away the protective layers. Now I heard the low hum of fear like the guttural growls of an animal.

After washing my face, I went back into the room and glowered at Oliver another time. He snatched up a few clothes and went into the bathroom after me.

Sitting down amongst the blankets, I held a small mechanical wolf in a loose grip, turning the cold metal over in my hands. The silver ears jutted into my fingers and the eyes flashed.

Flashed.

I threw the toy away from me and it skidded across the floorboards. It stood up by itself, regained posture, and chattered at me.

"Oliver?" I grunted loudly.

"What is it now?" His voice rang from inside the bathroom, frustrated. Always poisonous.

"How many of these toy animals have echoes attached to them?" I pulled my legs up to my chest as it clucked and chittered. Its small teeth seemed more fierce now.

I heard him suck in a loud breath, even from through the stark wooden doorway. "Most of them – it'd be best if you didn't touch them. They don't seem to like you much."

"And you tell me this now?" I snarled back at him. "I already know they don't like me, they trailed me for weeks when I first got here."

"Right. The walkers wanted to keep an eye on you."