Chapter 1: Past Stories

It's already been weeks since Lucian and Salem got to know each other more. Lucian told Salem what he did as a Star Sprite, and Salem told him about what he truly does to keep the darkness in balance. Salem was giving Lucian lessons on using his powers for combat. Lucian was confused as for why he needed to learn this, but Salem explained that there are beings that do try to take his power, even when they don't know he exists. They try to take the dark's power.

He explained to Lucian that there will be those type of people who will do anything to take those powers at all costs. Salem even remembers someone who used the Dark Star's power before, even though it wasn't intentional for them. The Dark Star was eating their DNA to gain a stronger form. It was a lot of information to process.

Right now, Salem and Lucian were sitting on the ground outside in a field facing each other. As Salem finished that story Lucian was surprised.

"But...I-I thought the Dark Star faced its end! If someone truly defeated the Dark Star, should it be erased from existence? Not to be fussed over again?" Lucian asked. Salem crossed his arms.

"That's what everyone thinks. Even if the Dark Star's gone, I'm still here. As you said to me before, I'm my own person. Everyone thinks it's gone...but it's not. I don't know what happened to it, but I know it's still here in a way. Everyone just can't see it. I don't know where it is now, but I definitely know it shouldn't bother anyone ever again."

"I see. So, with your connection to the Dark Star, you can see its...memories?" Lucian said that last word in confusion, yet intrigued.

"Everyone and everything has memory." Salem said. "Whether you make moments, or have something you've had for a long time, it's still like that. At that point, I had no idea what was happening. I could see what was going on, but I couldn't understand it. So I just...left those memories behind, forgot about it. But since you reminded me of it..."

"I-I'm sorry!" Lucian said quickly. "I did not intend to bring painful memories to the surface!"

"No, you're fine. You had to know anyway." Salem assured. He looked down at his chest. "No matter how many times the Dark Star gets destroyed...it comes back. It's immortal, eternal. The Dark Star represents darkness so it's an immortal evil. It comes back no matter how many beatings and defeats it takes."

"Light and darkness may be eternal...but that does not mean we are eternal, correct?" Lucian asked as Salem nodded his head. "I pray the Dark Star does not try a dangerous action once again..."

"Please! That thing's probably right in the core of the earth like it always should be!" Salem rolled his eyes and waved his hand. "As long as no one plays the part as the curious cat and digs it up again we'll be fine. Trust me!"

"O-Okay..." Salem sounded really tough and agitated when he said that. Lucian could tell Salem was worried it would come back and try something, especially to Salem. For now, Lucian decided to try and change the subject.

"Um...now that you have given me details about yourself, perhaps it is my turn to tell my story." He said.

"Okay then. Shoot." Salem said. Lucian took a deep breath and sighed. He began to speak.

"As you may already know, I was a Star Sprite. As a Star Sprite, my role was to watch over any source of dark energy."

"So you make sure it doesn't go crazy?" Salem assumed and Lucian nodded his head.

"It wasn't easy, but I was able to manage." As soon as Lucian said that, Salem's eyes widened.

"Wait! If you could do that, why didn't you do that to the king?" Salem said.