20

...one year later...

———Adrien's POV————

I've been treated for PANDAS over the last year, and I'm showing very few symptoms now. Mari and Roe stayed by my side through everything. They reminded me to take my supplemental pills, helped me through flares, and made sure I didn't eat dairy, gluten, or refined sugar. I had gone on antibiotics for about a month in the beginning to kill the strep infection, but then the specialty doctor suggested I take more natural supplements to maintain my immune system. I've gotten a lot better, but there's still occasional inflammation flares and die-off from switching meds, but all my friends were really helpful and understanding throughout my recovery.

•••

"Kitty?" Mari asks. We're sitting on the couch, cuddling. "Is something wrong?"

"Hmm?"

"You started staring off into space."

"I'm good, just thinking about how lucky I am to have you," I say, kissing the top of her head.

She smiles, and rests her head on my chest. I hold her close to me, but then I notice someone outside on the street jumping up and down.

"Does that person look familiar to you?" I ask.

Mari yawns and shuts her eyes. "Probably just another fan girl."

"Wait a second... is that... Alya?"

Mari's eyes pop open again. "Yeah... Looks like Nino and Roe are with her. Why are they waving their arms like that?"

The two of us get up to see what's going on. I open the window and poke my head out.

"Mari! Adrien!" The three of them call. "Get your butts down here!"

I chuckle. "What's gotten in to them?"

"Come on, let's go!" Mari says, and pulls my arm. We race down the stairs and out the front door.

"Took you long enough," Alya scolds. "We were standing there for 20 minutes."

"Didn't you get my texts, dudette?" Nino asks Mari. "We've been ready for you for an hour!"

"Oops, sorry."

"We're wasting daylight! C'mon!" Roe says, and starts to run away.

We all follow her through the streets of Paris, until we reach the park near our school. Banners are hanging from the tress, food is set up on picnic tables, and all the rest of our friends are there.

"What the—" I start.

"Happy birthday!!!" Everybody shouts.

"Wait..." I mutter, and then I remember the date. I facepalm; I totally forgot it's my birthday today.

"And now we eat cake!" Roe shouts happily.

"I thought I wasn't supposed to eat stuff like that?" I ask. I've been on these dietary restrictions ever since I started treatment. It's actually been really helpful with boosting my immune system.

She laughs. "Mari made it it especially for you! It's vegan, gluten free, and there's no white sugar!"

I turn to my girlfriend. "Really?"

She kisses my cheek. "Go enjoy!"

I hug her tightly, then pull her with me so we can dish out the cake. I take one bite, and instantly declare it the best thing I've ever eaten.

We spend the rest of the evening enjoying the music and the company. The sun began to set, so people started to head home. Alya, Roe and Nino volunteered to bring all the decorations back, so then it was just Mari and me in the park.

"Close your eyes," Mari says.

"Why?"

"Just do it!"

I laugh and shut them tight. I feel Mari place something in my hand, and then I look to see what it is: a photo album.

I flip through the pages, and hold back happy tears as I stare at all the photos of me, Mari, and all of our friends. There are so many pictures in there, but I only got through a couple pages before my eyes were too watery to see.

"Sorry I didn't have time to wrap it," Mari says. "I know it's not much, but—"

I crush her in a hug before she can say anything else.

"Thank you," I whisper. "This is the best gift anyone has ever given me."

"I'm glad you like it," she says before I kiss her passionately.

"Promise me something," I mutter against her lips.

"Of course," she replies. "Anything."

"You'll always be my lady."

She laughs. "As long as you'll always be my kitty."

The End!
_____
Thanks for reading!