Prompt #38

Prompt: A prompt where Beckett invites the gang over and his parents unexpectedly come home. I kind of want to see how they react to Leon hanging out with a bunch of maroon kids

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               I yelped as Beckett hit me with his yo-yo. "You bitch! I was just asking!"

               "No!" Beckett snapped.

               "I just wanted to see the infamous piano you beat the hell out of!" I said, and ducked behind Leon before he could hit me with the yo-yo again.

               "It was ruined. We got a new one," Beckett said, glaring at me.

               "Wait, hold on, you smashed up a piano and then your parents just bought you a new one?" Fagan said, wincing as the yo-yo struck him next. "Talk about spoiled."

               "My mom plays too," Beckett said in irritation. "I shouldn't have invited you assholes over."

               "Uh, yea, what do we do if your parents come home?" I said. "Pretty sure we're not welcome here."

               "They won't be home. They went to visit my brother and take him out to lunch. They won't be back until tonight," Beckett said dismissively.

               He led us to his bedroom and I looked around. I was not at all surprised about the little bucket full of yo-yos sitting next to his desk, but I did fear for my safety.

               "Kaz?" Leon said, gesturing to a picture on Beckett's nightstand.

               Beckett didn't even glance at it. "It was his 21st birthday. He let me come out to lunch with them. But my parents wouldn't let me stay the night because they were all drinking."

               In the picture, a slightly younger Beckett was actually smiling. Like, a real smile. On the face of Beckett Townsend.

               Casimir Warrick had an arm slung around Beckett's shoulder and a grin on his face. They both looked happy.

               I noticed there were no pictures of Beckett with his brother Emmett in the room.

               "Aw, baby Beck," I said, picking up a picture of his with older students. "The year Kaz graduated?"

               Beckett glanced at this picture. "Yea. Stop going through my pictures. You're all nosy."

               "Your hair was messy even back then," I said.

               Beckett scowled at me and ran a hand through his hair. "Shut up."

               Tessa seated herself on Beckett's bed. "We can play those Jackbox games, Beck? Or cards?"

               "I suck at cards. Fire up the PlayStation," Fagan said, also sitting on the bed.

               We ended up all gathering on Beckett's bed. I'd never played a Jackbox game before but learned very quickly that an AI named Gene was a better rapper than me, I'd never survive a trivia-based horror movie, and that Leon knew the world's most bizarre trivia ever.

               Beckett heated up a frozen pizza for us and we did our best not to get crumbs all over his bed, eyes shooting nervously to the bucket of yo-yos. A bucket. A whole ass bucket. What had my life become that I was hanging out in the room of a guy who kept a bucket of yo-yos?