Prompt #40

Prompt: We got Brennan's parents story but how did Leon's parents meet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

               Abby Thompson sat in the library, a book in front of her but her attention fixed on the boy at the desk.

               She'd seen him in the library plenty. Usually he was tutoring someone, or helping the librarians process donations.

               But today, he and the girl next to him were chatting casually with the librarian at the desk. Abby assumed the girl was his sister. She saw her here a good amount too, but not as much as the boy.

               Abby volunteered at the library, though mostly in the children's center. She loved reading to the kids and teaching them how to get their library card and find books in the maze of shelves.

               She figured it was about time she struck up conversation with the boy. She didn't even know his name. But just the other day, she'd seen him pause his tutoring session so he could go help two little kids who couldn't reach the book they wanted.

               That had sealed the deal for her. She was going to talk to him.

               He turned away from the desk with two books in hand. They looked like history books, and he had a school bag slung over his shoulder.

               He came towards the tables. It was early enough in the day that it was quiet throughout the library, very few people around.

               "Excuse me," Abby said, getting his attention.

               He offered her a polite smile. "Hello."

               "Hi. I see you around here a lot," Abby said.

               "Yes. You volunteer in the children's center, yes?" he said.

               Abby nodded and gestured to the chair across from her. "I do. Have a seat, if you want."

               "Thank you," he said, sitting down and setting his books on the table.

               "I'm Abby," she said, smiling and holding her hand out to him.

               "George. My family calls me Geo," he said, shaking her hand.

               George knew he should tell Abby his last name, but...he didn't want to. He'd seen her around the library plenty, always with a kind smile on her face as she helped the children.

               He'd taken plenty of notice of her, always blown away by that kind smile and the clear joy she got from interacting with the children. He'd never once seen her lose her patience, even with the wildest of the kids. She was always patient, always willing to sit down and work things out with them.

               And she was pretty, too. Not in the way that would stop and turn heads. But that auburn hair and those big blue eyes of hers sure caught his attention.

               So he didn't want to tell her he was a Constance. If she lived in town, she'd know the Academy, and she'd know the wealth and influence of his family. He didn't want her to treat him like everyone else did.

               "What are you reading?" she asked, peeking at his books.

               "Oh, just history books. I have an assignment for class," he said. "What are you reading?"