XIII: Dalikamata

D'yuq 2, 2095

Fiona let go of her bag and sat down by the nearby trunk. The trip up to this point was something Fiona had never done before. She looked up at the moonlit sky and tried to catch her breath after walking for a whole day. Spitz, who was holding a flashlight and carrying the heaviest pack among the team, looked undepleted of his energy. 

He put his hands on his waist and said, “Okay, let’s camp up here!” joyously. 

About time,” Chastisa said, using her slow breathing to conceal what she said.

After unpacking and finishing their camp, Spitz and a middle aged man put down logs by the center of their campsite and lit it up to make a campfire. Fiona and Chastisa, who still shared the same charm-full tent, observed the fire as it ferociously grew right in front of them.

“I’ve never reached this part of the forest,” Chastisa said. She looked down and said, “it's not as far as we--" she broke off. She tried to mention it but she swore on her life that the next time she would say his name she should have already given him a big slap on his face. She sighed and said, "I know I can't ask you this question, you've been only with us for four days but you've heard of my story, right?"

Fiona nodded slightly. 

"Do you think it was wrong of me to trust strangers easily?"

Fiona thought of what to answer. She could say "well, of course!" but she didn't wanna make Chastisa to feel bad. In some ways, Fiona could see herself in what Chastisa was conflicted with right now. But maybe Fiona only trusted Danny out of instinct that he'd make her return to Minaden once whatever was happening was over. And to think that she expected things became simple. Maybe she could say those to her slowly. 

"Well, you see… I--"

"EVERYONE! HUDDLE UP!" Spitz shouted. The two looked at the campfire and saw him cooking at the top of the fire. 

Fiona gave a sigh of relief because someone had cut off their depressing conversation. Fiona stood up and went to the campfire with Chastisa behind her.

"Of course, how could I…" Fiona heard Chastisa's soft muttering. 

At the middle of the camp, it seemed as if this place had been smaller as it is. Three tents encircled the fire, and behind those tents was the dark forest. Fiona swore she heard rustling behind their tents, but she dismissed it. 

The sour scent of what smelled like a stew permeated the stale night air. Spitz got out a pair of potholders and grabbed the casserole. He took out a mini bench from his bag and placed the pot there. Fiona looked at what was inside, and it both made her feel sick and hungry. What was inside was a pork stew with leafy vegetables Fiona had never seen before that gave off a very sour but at the same time tasty scent. Fiona felt herself drooling just by looking at the food. Fiona took another whiff and felt her stomach roll with satisfaction. It didn't make her feel sick anymore, it made her horribly hungry.

"Sour pork ribs! With some herbs I added. I also cooked rice! Everyone sit by the fire and replenish." A slim woman with her hair on a tight bun beside Spitz took hold of a ladle and held out a plate. She put a small amount of rice on it and took a huge amount of the stew on her plate. 

A man, who was probably in his middle ages, looked at her with one eyebrow raised. "Aren't you leaving not enough food for us, Patricia?"

She looked at him with her spoon midway near her mouth, "you know being angry is not good for your health, you know that, don't you Lucius?"

He rolled his eyes in response. 

Fiona looked at Chastisa and asked her, "have you tried this out yet?"