XII : Dalikamata

Cretil 24, 2095

"And when I arrived, the same pale man had already thrown him." Fiona took another gulp of the cold water Snow gave her. If only Fiona had convinced Danny harder, then things would be less stressful for her. 

Inside the safe room, shortly after Danny had left, Fiona had convinced Matilda harder into following Danny. Matilda was reluctant to let Fiona go, but eventually she showed the second of the numerous exits of the safe room. Fiona then had ventured out into only finding Danny falling down from a cliff. She had tried calling out his name, but only the strong sound of water hitting rocks could be heard. Spitz and his team had found her shortly after, her tears pattering down with the river. 

"Look, you tried alright. But, it was his own choice to follow Alex, right? So h-he is a hero," Snow said as she sat down beside Fiona by Alex's burnt down tree. 

Fiona nodded in slight agreement and stared off the distance as everyone started arranging and fixing the whole campsite.

I was brought here by people that are already lost. Where do I go now from this point?

***

Three days had passed since Danny and Alex got lost. The small leaf covering above Con-ALC was there to substitute Alex's burnt down tree. Fiona looked around and observed everyone's working tents. One thing was common, everyone was busy finding for the two lost members. 

There was no time to observe any longer though, it was time.

A team was already sent to search Danny. Snow and Matilda, who was the only one aware of the corrosive plant by the western regions, were sent to find Danny who, if there were no tributaries, would've ended up there. 

"Make sure to stay safe here, darrling. We'll go search for your friend and in no time, bring him back here understand?" Matilda had said, touching Fiona's cheek. She didn't understand why everyone here was so kind to her even though she was a newbie. She smiled back and then, they were on their way. 

That was yesterday. This day, she decided she was going to join Spitz's team in finding Alex. Chastisa decided to come with him, though.

During the three days she spent here at the Con-ALC, she saw how the two rarely got along, there was one time when Spitz mentioned hot tea being spilled all over him. Fiona didn't dare ask what happened.

"You sure about this?" Spitz said, grabbing the last item of his into his trunk. Then he strained his eyes towards Chastisa who was behind Fiona, signalling her nemesis to leave. She threw back the same glance and stayed.

"I think I might get even crazier if I stayed doing nothing here all day," Fiona said quietly.

Spitz looked at Fiona on the eyes again then nodded, although it looked like he was doubting if she should even come. "Well, if you've decided then, before we leave make sure to pack your things up." Then he looked at Chastisa then said with enough contempt to shock her, "tell that to the girl behind you as well."

Fiona heard Chastisa gasp before pulling her out of his tent. 

The wind refreshed her from the rigid atmosphere inside Spitz's tent. What should be the sound of nature though, was replaced by the indistinct chatterings everywhere and sounds of different computers. Fiona and Chastisa walked past the busy people ensuring the different locations of the two missing people and guiding the first team in search of Danny. Not a while after, they've reached the middle of the Con-ALC where the tents of non-officiating members are located.

Fiona made friends easily as she stayed here, one was Chastisa to whom she felt the closest among the people around. Among all of the people that were affected by the incidents that occured, Chastisa was the most sorrowful and broken among them. Based on what Fiona knew, Tim and her were the absolute closest before all that had happened, and right after being beaten up both mentally and physically, Chastisa became gloomy for a whole day. She wasn't her usual joyful self according to Spitz, who usually picked on Chastisa. Fiona would usually find her playing with the soil or staring off at the forest. 

Fiona didn't know how, but she approached Chastisa and was able to get close to her. With this, she helped her from being swallowed by her devastating thoughts. Next thing Fiona knew, she made a new friend. 

The two shared a tent and it was easy to locate it because of the numerous charms found at the flaps. Fiona would smile every time she saw the charms as she found them cute, but Chastisa and her mother believed they were important elements of luck. 

Fiona unzipped the tent and went inside. She sat down and decided to wait for the signal of leaving instead. She had nothing to pack, anyway. She just borrowed clothes from Chastisa (even her pairs of underwear too, but she made sure to clean it more thoroughly by the nearby river) and from Snow.

"Are you scared?" Chastisa asked, folding her legs to her chest.

"Very," Fiona answered blankly. 

"Same, sis." 

An awkward silence followed, then Chastisa said, "we'll find them."

Fiona nodded. "Yeah, we will." Then she dozed off.

***

The sun was at its peak when the eastern part of the camp was again cramped by everyone who was waving goodbye to their friends, family, and lovers. Spitz smiled with admiration by the border of the forest as he awaited those who were still saying goodbyes. Fiona was beside him, and whenever she looked at his brown eyes, it always looked like he was trying to mask something longing within. 

Maybe it was because Charlie wasn't around. Maybe. But Fiona decided not to meddle in their business.

"Shall we?" Spitz said to his team. Fiona and the rest looked at him and nodded. "Then let's go!" 

Spitz team a.k.a. "Scooper" finally ventured off the forests, away from the sobs of the members of the rebellion. 

We're going to rescue Aaron and the rest, Danny, Fiona thought. Yes, that was her purpose now, she couldn't be afraid. 

She was, after all, the Dusk Holder.